Support interface with different extruders

0xBeFa

Posted · Support interface with different extruders

Is there a trick to set up cura that only the top and bottom layer of the support interface is printed with a different extruder?

For example I want to print PLA and BVOH with 3 layers support interface like this:

BVOH interface 3 (100%)

PLA interface 2 (100%)

PLA interface 1 (100%)

multiple PLA infills (20%)

PLA interface 3 (100%)

PLA interface 2 (100%)

BVOH interface 1 (100%)

With the current settings I can only achieve:

BVOH interface 3 (100%)

BVOH interface 2 (100%)

BVOH interface 1 (100%)

multiple PLA infills (20%)

BVOH interface 3 (100%)

BVOH interface 2 (100%)

BVOH interface 1 (100%)

The problem with that is that the layer adhesion between PLA and a soluble support material like PVA or BVOH is not as good as the layer adhesion of PLA+PLA or the soluble material with itself. So trying to lay down 100% support material on 20% PLA will more likely fail than on a solid PLA base.

This settings would make mixed material support much more applicable and there are many advantages to do so:

• save money for specialized support materials like Breakaway or BVOH
  • less material that needs to be dissolved
  • depending on the model the number of extruder switches can be reduced by >90% --> better print time, less chance of clogging, less oozed out material

Yes!  This feature exists!  It even has the same word, "interface" in the feature:

"enable support interface".  Wait - I think there's more to it than that but you can do a layer of support with soluble material...

So you can do this and set any quantity of layers to be interface.

enable support interface: check

Support Extruder: extruder 1

support interface extruder: extruder 2

support interface thickness: 0.6            <-- this gives you 3 layers if you are at layer height of 0.2

Plus 5 more related features.  Just above all the settings there is a search box.  Put "interface" in the search box and it will show visible and hidden features with "interface" in the name or description of the setting.

I use a mix of PLA and Breakaway Top/bottom interface layers as my supports as it greatly cuts down on cost and usage of Breakaway and to help support the Breakway top layer i have support infill set to 50% but have "gradual support infill steps" set to "2", this means i don't have much PLA support % till the final 1mm where it steps to make a 50% infill base for the Breakway to print onto, what helps greatly.

The setting "Support Horizontal Expansion" can help with PVA also and that's why when you use just PVA that setting is set to 2 i think it is.

206093155_Screenshot2021-02-11at22_21_20.thumb.png.8c7abb90fa8ceddf750446c930dbbc6f.png

501859999_Screenshot2021-02-11at22_21_28.thumb.png.b725554dde03266824511293a3376676.png

• Like 1