UM3 clicking noise

paoletto

Posted (edited) · UM3 clicking noise

It started recently, it happens when the head move along the front to back axis. It happens around a specific position (see https://ufile.io/y60q1agm , roughly in the middle ), and more prominently when the head goes toward the back.
Is this something known? I tried to lube the rails today, but it did not help for this issue.

video.zip

Edited by paoletto
added video

Hi @paoletto,

after looking and listening to the noise I'll think this noise come from feeder no 1(if you're printing with this core).

This sounds like tooth gear working kind of hard and the clicking sound might be missed steps..

Often the root of such a fail is found in the extruder head.

If the forward fan stop working (the fan inside the nozzle core door), -not cooling the upper part of the cores.

This will increase the force required to feed the filament (due to friction increasing), and may soon stop feeding filament to the heat core.

Sure, a print core blockage may also cause such a problem, but first check this fan..

Good luck

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Missing text.

Posted · UM3 clicking noise
    22 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Hi @paoletto,

after looking and listening to the noise I'll think this noise come from feeder no 1(if you're printing with this core).

This sounds like tooth gear working kind of hard and the clicking sound might be missed steps..

Often the root of such a fail is found in the extruder head.

If the forward fan stop working (the fan inside the nozzle core door), -not cooling the upper part of the cores.

This will increase the force required to feed the filament (due to friction increasing), and may soon stop feeding filament to the heat core.

Sure, a print core blockage may also cause such a problem, but first check this fan..

Good luck

Thanks

Torgeir

Thank you Torgeir for your input, i will look into this.
    However, i would like to point out that this noise is apparent mostly in just one part of the front-to-back swipe, and it doesn't happen below or above. If i pay attention, it also happens around the same y position when the head is printing gyroid infill so wiggling left and right..

Hmm., strange. Maybe check if the sliding bearing inside the head. Try to find out if there is any play/slack in the head without moving it, just check both axis. Normally there will be a very little play here, you might barely feel it.

When the head is doing infill with small movement, this clacking sound might be heard and will be more intense in some positions/directions..

2 hours ago, Torgeir said:

Hmm., strange. Maybe check if the sliding bearing inside the head. Try to find out if there is any play/slack in the head without moving it, just check both axis. Normally there will be a very little play here, you might barely feel it.

When the head is doing infill with small movement, this clacking sound might be heard and will be more intense in some positions/directions..

Thanks for helping me out! 🙂
    So first thing i did was open the feeder, followed instructions from a nice lady on youtube, worked out smoothly, the feeder however wasnt even that dirty. Anyway, i hoovered it, and mounted it back. Next i checked the rails, and one thing i notice is that when i slide the head by hand, laterally (x direction) it feels very uniform, while along the y (back to front) is rather uneven resistance. In particular, in around the area where the clicking happens, it seems the head moves looser (faster).
    Can this be a stepper motor problem? I inspected the gears and belts and i see no problems there..

Edited by paoletto

I am now trying again, the clicking still there. I tried to keep my ear on the feeder, and i think i'm quite comfortable saying it does not come from there.
    It also does not happen when the head is moved up or down when not printing..

Edited by paoletto

So after a session of auscultation, i would put my money on the left stepper motor. Which does not make sense, because on head fast translation movements it does not make such a noise. only when driving slow while printing. And also only in the middle (and the motor spins many times before getting there).

That's good.

Well, there is 3 shafts involved that's need to be lubricated for Y and 3 each for the X axis.

So all 6 shafts need lubrication frequently.

Other thing here to look for is the belts between all the pulleys. The long belts should be running right above or under the shaft it's moving the sliding block along.

The other two short ones(from each stepper motors) must go strait to the pulleys and not climbing on its side.

The stepper motor are very rough, and can run for many thousands of hour.

I made a couple of other vids:
    https://ufile.io/ijrhb4ur
    https://ufile.io/3qdj889c

I do not see anything out of the ordinary, maybe just the short belt very close to the side of the pulley, i saw below there would be some margin to move it, like half mm, so i could try that.
    Other than that, the noise always when the white label on the short belt go around the top pulley..

Edit: i managed to move the short belt away from that edge, but the sound persists

Edited by paoletto

Hmm., this might be one of the bearing of the X shaft, when both long X shaft is rotating it is moving the head along Y axis.

As the inner X shaft have kind of high tension, over time this will wear out first.

I'll think if you loosen the Y stepper motor, and then move along the Y axis you may hear the noise from this bearing..

You may also listen to this bearing, but might be hard to spot..

Yes, this thing can play a little with you..

I think you might be right, i put my ear next to that shaft (the one the short belt is pulling) and i think there is where the noise come from..
    But if that's the case, it shouldn't be very serious, should it? Usually worn bearing are just a bit noisy.
    Or could this be what is affecting precision?

Btw , for losening the y-motor, you mean the 4 screws on the outside?

Edited by paoletto

It sure can affect precision, if it hangs up etc.  It might be possible to oil, but this can go both ways..

Since you detected this early, might be worth a try.

There is an assembly manual for UM2 with some info., and for this area it is the same arrangement.

Yes, but first you have to remove the inside cover. I'm not sure how in the UM3E, I've got an UMS3.

You need to hold the motor..

There is some open source stuff about UM3 on github.

11 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

There is some open source stuff about UM3 on github.

Thanks! will check that out.
    Btw, googling for this (UM3 bearing) i found

Sounds about the same issue?

Edit: and this

Edited by paoletto

Great finding..

Just looked at my printer and it appear it's not fastened with screws, there is just five notches two on each length and one in the bottom for this cover. Might be lifted a little up and just pulled out.. Think the cover is some plastic, but not sure.

You may find some more on google for sure..

Good luck.

Torgeir

According to the other user, it's the belt that's worn a slightly stretched. I'll try to find a new one and replace, then report 🙂