Can I change filament for a section, not height?

SirFelonious

Posted · Can I change filament for a section, not height?

In Cura, is there a way I can designate specific blocks of an object to trigger a filament change? (single extruder)

For example: I would have about a millimeter tall cylinder of white filament surrounded by a ring of blue filament. Basically the nozzle will print out layers 1 - 100 of the white, then change filament,  then goes back to print layers 1 - 100 of the blue. (I can add a picture if I'm being unclear) This is similar in concept to non-planar printing but it prints planar for one section then again for another.

I understand that I may need to change the filament multiple times as to ensure the nozzle doesn't come in contact with the previously printed parts above the z-height of where it is printing. 

Having two separate gcode files is not ideal but if there is a way to reliably do this like it were separate prints then that could work, but only as a last solution due to how my printer is configured. 

Thanks ahead of time!

Posted · Can I change filament for a section, not height?

The sections would have to be not-touching horizontally because the nozzle would touch the earlier color.  So I'm guessing they *do* touch vertically (print one color on top of a layer that is of a different color).

Yeah I'm pretty sure that feature doesn't exist.  You should really consider getting a two filament printer! 🙂

So you could do this by slicing different models and printing as separate print jobs and have some of them start at Z>0 (you can set the Z height of the bottom of your part in cura if you disable "automatically drop..." in general preferences).

• Thanks 1