positioning modifier mesh

curasurf

Posted (edited) · positioning modifier mesh

It's a very difficult job for me to position a modifier mesh (e.g. support blocker) in Cura without any functionalities of modelling softwares.

For example in the picutre, to make the blocker cover the desired area general costs me long time. In a modeling software, it can be done in minutes in a reliable way.

Hope to know how you experts do it. Thank you for sharing!

Image.png

Edited by curasurf

Posted · positioning modifier mesh

I bring in a support blocker and it is 10x10x10.  I select the "Movement" tool and either drag it around, or set explicit values in the dialog, to get it near where I want it.  Then I select the "Scale" tool and usually turn off "Uniform Scaling".  Then I can grab the grips and pull it to size, or explicitly enter the sizes in the dialog box.  After that it's just fine tuning the location by going back to the movement tool and dragging it around.

There are some instances when using the "Settings for Overlaps" tool that placement and size can be very important.  That can take a while to get just right.  For a feature like that overhang (your green arrow is pointing to) it should just take a minute to set up since in that instance, close is good enough.

• Thanks 1

Hi @GregValiant   Thank you so much for sharing!

Since the first day I started using Cura, I found that it has a critical issue ----- the original model coordinates in the STL files are lost after being imported.

In comparison, S3D kept all the STL origianl model position. This is the key reason for me to switch to Cura 2+ years later.

If all the model coordinates are kept, the postioning job would be much much easier. It's really difficult to understand why the original designer of Cura discarded them.

Edited by curasurf

When I export an STL file the only requirement is that it is in the positive octant.  Exactly where in the octant doesn't matter.  I don't know whether or not there is any location information in the file.  Mostly I don't pay attention to where the part is in space so long as it is legal for the STL translator.

If I need to make an assembly in Cura then Cura has to be fooled.  I create a model build plate 1mm thick and larger than the assembly (up to 230 x 230 for my Ender 3 pro) in the CAD software so that my assembled parts are on the top surface and within the periphery of the plate.  I union a part to the build plate, and export the STL, and then undo the union.  I move to the next part and repeat.  All my STL files then have the build plate in them and since Cura always brings parts in by Center of Geometry the 0,0 for each of my stl's is identical and it doesn't matter where the real part is in any axis.  Once my parts are all in Cura I can move them all to 0,0,0 and then sink them 1mm into the Cura build plate so the CAD build plates disappear.  Taa-Daaa.  Slice and dice baby, Cura has been fooled into becoming an assembly modeler.  Any holes or angled parts  are correct in space without having to fudge them around in Cura.  Then it's time to figure out the overlaps and/or per part settings and it's all good.

Until I notice I forget to move the Z-seam and I have to start all over.

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2021 at 6:26 PM, curasurf said:

Since the first day I started using Cura, I found that it has a critical issue ----- the original model coordinates in the STL files are lost after being imported.

I've got some good news for you then; That isn't the case! If you merge models the origin is set to be the same.

You could also just use 3mf / obj files, since those actually support multiple objects

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, nallath said:

If you merge models the origin is set to be the same.

Hi @nallath

Two years ago, when I played with Cura to see how to position STL models, I found the workaround you mentioned. Merging two models can restore their relative positions, but as whole, the new group still forgets its original position. This is really very dissappointing.

I never tried 3mf and obj files, because my modelling software does not export those formats.

Anyway, thank you!

And another thing again:

When Cura command line is used to import an STL model, the models in current Cura window are LOST. This makes all the plugins for Cura to work with modelling softwares almost useless. Hope it can be fixed. In my personal opinion, it should be a very small project. (I might be wrong.) Thank you!

Edited by curasurf