My Ultimaker Original + is not heating the Print Bed

Posted · My Ultimaker Original + is not heating the Print Bed

Hi everyone, 

First post here!

I've tried to print with my Ultimaker Original + but the printer gave Err: Maxtemp. So I decided to change the heater cables. Turned the printer back on and it seems to be fine

until the bed couldn't heat up. So I panicked. And here I am. This is a printer I bought but I've only ever worked with Ultimaker 3+'s from school. All help appriciated. 

Posted · My Ultimaker Original + is not heating the Print Bed

How do you know it's the heat bed and not the nozzle that is giving the "maxtemp" error?  If it doesn't mention the bed it could be the nozzle in the error.

Well you can print without heating the bed if you put blue tape on the print bed.  This can get you started for now.  "blue tape" is any painting tape from the paint store.  It's important to wash the blue tape with isopropyl alcohol before you start printing - this removes the waxy surface so your filament will stick to it.  Just a quick 5 second cleaning using a tissue and IPA is fine.  You have to relevel after applying blue tape.

Having the heated fail bed is common.  Usually you have to resolder the cables at the bed - but this is only for true UMO+ printers - there is another type of UMO with heated bed kit that has a more common issue.  Could you take a few photographs?  One of the print bed looking down towards the rear of the printer, one of the print head, and one of the underside of the printer (with covers on is fine).

Thanks.