Opposite of "Extra skin wall count"

dubbeltrubbel

Posted · Opposite of "Extra skin wall count"

I'd like a way to put a negative value here so to get for example 1 perimeter on top/bottom and 4 walls the rest of the print. to get a nice surface.

I haven't found this functionality in cura, but if it exists please let me know.

If not please please please implement it, this is one of few things making me go to other slicers sometimes

• 6 months later...

I'm wondering about this as well. I'm using some silk filaments that really contrast the outer perimeter against the top/bottom layers because the lines are going in different directions. Being able to change the wall count on the first layer to "1" as dubbeltrubbel suggests would help to make that less obvious. Is this possible in Cura?

If it is the very top layer of the model it's pretty easy.  If it is an intermediate layer then it's problematic.

For the very top layer you can use a support blocker configured to "Modify settings for overlaps" and as a Cutting Mesh.  For settings, select Wall Line Count and Extra Skin Wall Count and set them to 1 and 0 respectively. 

With your model - add a support blocker.  Scale the X and Y to cover the area you want to change and make it 1mm thick in the Z.  Adjust the X Y location over the model and put the Z so it will overlap the top layer.

In the attached file the calibration cube is 25mm tall and the layer height is .2 so I located the support blocker at 24.8 so it only effects the top layer.

Here is a shot of the second to last layer.

image.thumb.png.7c6ca4989a6ca512cd0c7a6da8c5d85e.png

And here is the top layer.

image.thumb.png.64e18595fb0b9ab5e556f1f3694279b9.png

GV25x25Cube.3mf

• Thanks 1

I actually need to do this on the bottom layer that attaches to the bed. I have a textured sheet and print some boxes/enclosures with the top down to get that pattern embedded on them. I wonder if this technique would work that way? I assume the support blocker would need the Z height to literally be a single layer and positioned so it’s at the bottom?

It looks like I was able to get this to work by creating the blocker with the X and Y dimensions to match my box and the Z dimension to be the first layer height and then positioning that near coordinates of X/Y/Z = 0. I am using a line width of 0.9mm on a 0.6mm nozzle. I noticed that there is a small gap between the last line of fill and the shell. Is there a setting that should fill that in?

Cura.jpg

Nevermind. I figured it out. I didn't have the "Fill Gaps Between Walls" setting enabled. Thanks again for your help GregValiant!