Slicing removes recesses / details?

Dex

Posted · Slicing removes recesses / details?

Hey,

ran into my first problem I cant find a solution to:

when slicing the following stl the details are completely gone (see attached pictures):

JJP_Barrel_Lid.stl - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4189001/files

What setting do I need to change so that the recesses are not "filled up"?

I am running Cura 4.8.0. If you need my complete cura config - please let me know.

stl.png

preview.png

Make sure "remove all holes" is not checked.  It's in "mesh fixes" section.  That alone would explain what you see.

If that doesn't fix it then in the upper right corner of Cura click "marketplace" and make sure you are on the "plugins" tab and install "Mesh Tools".  Then restart Cura.  Now right click on your model, choose "mesh tools" and first choose
    "check mesh", then "fix model normals".  Slice to see if better.  If not then...

in mesh tools try "fix simple holes" to see if that helps.  

If that still doesn't work please post your project file: go to menu "file" "save...".  The resulting file contains not only your STL but the scaling, positioning.  Also it has your machine (printer) settings, your material settings, your profile used, and settings that you overrode.  Please post that here.

Hi gr5,

thanks for the quick reply.

I didn't have "remove all holes" checked.

So I tried your second hint: "fix model normals" seems to have done the trick. 🙂

Just for my understanding: what does that option change?

fixmode.png

The STL has an unordered (e.g. second triangle might be on opposite side of part from first) set of triangles.  Each triangle also has a "normal".  The normal tells Cura which side of every triangle is "air" and which side is "plastic".  Some of your side walls in the design had walls that were backwards.  Most CAD won't let you do that.  Some notable ones that let you have the normal backwards are Sketchup and Blender.  If you are using Sketchup in particular I can tell you how to never have "wrong" normals.  Once you know, it's extremely simple to spot the problem and fix the problem in Sketchup.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hey,

I was kind of lazy to download stuff from the market place so personally I fixed the problem under "experiment > Make overhang printable" on Cura 4.13.1.