Wrong print time!!!

benkor

Posted · Wrong print time!!!

Hey Guys,

I own a Raise3D pro2 printer and I have just changes from Ideamaker to Cura.

I noticed that Cura doesn't send the correct print time to the printer. Is there any way to fix this?

Thank.

Posted (edited) · Wrong print time!!!

Opening any Cura gcode file configured for my printer, the first two lines are:

;FLAVOR:Marlin
    ;TIME:10684

That is the only reference to time in the file (EDIT it does show Time Elapsed as a comment at layer changes).  I've found it to be pretty accurate.

My printer pays no attention to it however.  Instead, the printer (Creality) knows how many bytes it has processed, and what the file size is, and how long it's been working.  It displays the percentage completed (bytes read ÷ file size) and the elapsed time.

When I first started into 3d printing I found it annoying to constantly have to calculate the current layer number.  I asked for a "new feature" that would show the layer number on the LCD screen.  The person that wrote a plugin for it must have had the same issue you are having because he also added a "time remaining" feature AND that feature has a fudge factor.  You can make it very close to reality.  The fudge factor is: Cura time in seconds ÷ Actual Print time in seconds.  Once you've done a couple prints and have a baseline for an average, put the fudge factor into the dialog box.

Here is the plugin "ShowProgress.py" in the zip file.  Extract it and put it in the Cura...\ Plugins \ PostProcessingPlugin \ Scripts" folder and it will be available the next time you start Cura.  The options are to "Show Layer #" and "Show Time Remaining" and "Speed Factor" which is the fudge factor.

Using the above "10684" time and with a fudge factor of 1 this line gets added at layer:0 and at every layer change the numbers are adjusted:

M117 1/378 | ETA 2H58M

Changing the fudge factor to .91 that line would appear as:

M117 1/378 | ETA 3H15M

I like it.  The layer number displayed is the layer that Cura shows in preview, and I can adjust the remaining time to something approaching real life, and it gets displayed on the LCD.

I've never been a huge fan of Reality, but it this case it allows me to know about what time I should get up from my nap.

ShowProgress.zip

Edited by GregValiant

@GregValiant,

I do have the layer counter and I think it's working fine. It's just the time remain that is really off.

I have just started a new print, in Cura it says 03:45 and on my printer display is says 04:55 and it keeps changing.

I'll try the Plugin, thanks 👍

The plugin "Display Progress on LCD" is similar but doesn't have the fudge factor.  It does a straight interpretation of Total Time - Elapsed Time and converts the result into hours and minutes.  A couple of people who own Delta printers have notice a huge discrepancy as well.

Looking at the Cura "03:45" and the printer "04:55" which one is correct (how long will that print really take)?

Slicing the same model in Raise3D IdeaMaker, is there a difference in time?