3d pen for TPU95?

Posted · 3d pen for TPU95?

I've read some of the threads here on 3D pens.  In my region, it seems everything offered is more toy than tool, so my hope is that within this group someone can help get me sorted.

I've seen plenty of options that handle PLA, or PLA and ABS.  Most of these also have reviews that include things like 'broke on the third try'.  I don't know if any options handle semi-rigid options like TPU, perhaps that is a function of the 1.75mm filaments used (I find 2.85 plenty robust in the Cheetah line).

My application is a custom retaining ring for a clear acrylic face 'crystal' within a 3d printed bezel that has an undercut groove to hold the crystal and then a ring.  It would be so easy just to lay in a ring of hot filament.  Printing it in advance and trying to wedge it in there is not working too well, the gap is so small that a printed wall thickness that fits is too weak to take off the bed or push into the gap without deformation or tearing.

Thanks for your thoughts!

John

Posted (edited) · 3d pen for TPU95?

I would have to dig mine out to tell you the brands I tried and liked. I wonder about some of those reviews because I feel like there is a huge user error thing going on there.

The names may not be correct, but off the top of my head:

3Doodler I did not care for because it uses only straight filament from them. I tried to put regular filament (coiled) and it was a mess because it would spin due to the mechanism of the pen itself.

MYNT3D  I liked because it would use any generic filament, coiled or straight, and was comfortable in the hand.

This is a new name, but looks like the one I got: SCRIB3D. Liked it for the same reasons I liked the Mynt3d.

I never tried anything but PLA in it though so cannot advise on the flexible filaments though. Sorry.

Edit: They all had a temp adjuster so that you would not be stuck with preset temps for filaments.

Edited by kmanstudios
    • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

It might also be a good idea to search on internet for demo-videos. Then you get an idea of how smooth the extruded sausage is, and if it fits your application. Most models that I saw gave a quite irregular extrusion, or maybe seemed irregular due to our hands moving irregularly? It would work very well for creating trees in miniature railroad landscapes, but not for smooth geometric objects.

28 minutes ago, geert_2 said:

but not for smooth geometric objects.

Absolutely. Great for rougher, organic types of things, but in no way for anything really functional. I have never seen a smooth print made from them, no matter the brand or artist.