(Unconditional) Z Hop does not occur with 100% of retractions

Mlogue9

Posted · (Unconditional) Z Hop does not occur with 100% of retractions

I just put masking tape on my extruder and z all-thread rod on my ender 3 pro printing from SD card. (OP is nice and fancy but SD printing is much more reliable, isn't there a OP plugin for power recovery?!).

So anyhow yes I do love combing and that's why I use Cura. I don't see why combing and z hop have to be mutually exclusive but they are. I have comb not in skin on and Z hop 0.41mm withOUT the over printed parts only qualifier. 

So I see for some retracts it will movcastle.curaprofilee Z up, but by no means all of them. Only about half. I attached my profile and yeah it prints quite nicely but I'm sweating bullets over it failing the second I go to bed (it failed 10 mins after I decided 4 hours of babysitting it was enough and left room last night). Also attached the gcode that is in the printer. It's for my dad.

PS: why do print speeds slow on slender objects such as the neck of a bowling pin? Nowhere in settings of speed or experiemental or any documentation is this mentioned or referred to. Closest is the first couple layer speed and this isn't the case here. Hell, I'm not sure it's not just a artifact of the speed layer line view but the slender parts are blue and rest is teal.

castle.gcode

If you would do a "File | Save Project" and post the 3mf file here it will have the model and all your settings in it.

"I just put masking tape on my extruder and z all-thread rod on my ender 3 pro printing from SD card. "  My printer is an Ender 3 Pro.  I don't understand what you did there or why you would need to.

Speed can slow down if Cura sees that you will miss the "Minimum Layer Time".  It provides more time for a layer to cool before putting more hot plastic on top.  Small sections need the additional time or they will have a melted look.  Features like spires need special handling.

Regarding z-hops - Things like "retraction minimum travel" and "max comb distance with no retract" have an effect.  There are a lot of retractions and z-hops in that file.  Within layer 385 this happens:

G1 X142.86 Y71.569 E3126.44815
    G1 F2400 E3119.94815
    G0 F10800 X142.834 Y71.32
    G0 X142.786 Y67.3
    G0 X142.653 Y66.644
    G0 X142.327 Y66.112
    G0 X142.267 Y66.359
    G1 F2400 E3126.44815

That is a retraction, some combing moves, then a prime.  There is no z-hop.  So something in the settings (or inside Cura) is prohibiting a z-hop there and probably in areas that are similar.  I would think it's because the combing moves are within infill or along a wall and so Cura figures no z-hop is required, but without a project file and your settings, it's just guess work.

Thanks. It came out fine so I was worried needlessly. I almost prefer printing from SD card as i've had string of failures with OP.