Metric options

mtanner

Posted · Metric options

I hope I am putting this in the right area.  I would like to see Cura be able to switch over to the metric system using feet and inches instead of just the Imperial system (I think that is what they call it at least)  anyway I use this for portraits and such and I know there are conversion utilities out there on the web but it would be nice to have that availability in the program itself.

Thanks

Matt

Posted · Metric options
    2 hours ago, mtanner said:

I hope I am putting this in the right area.  I would like to see Cura be able to switch over to the metric system using feet and inches instead of just the Imperial system (I think that is what they call it at least)  anyway I use this for portraits and such and I know there are conversion utilities out there on the web but it would be nice to have that availability in the program itself.

Cura is currently using the metric system, since we use meters and millimetres. We're not planning to switch over to the imperial system (aka; using feet & inches).

There are a few things that you can do to make your life a bit easier:

1. Use 3MF files instead of STL, since 3MF has the ability to specify what the unit of measurement of that file is.

2. If that is not possible, you can download the Barbarian Units plugin which provides a convenience scaling from inch to mm

Posted · Metric options

The next version of the MeshTools plugin will have an option to always interpret files that don't specify a unit (such as STL, OBJ, PLY) as a specific unit. It will convert the mesh to millimeters, because that is what Cura uses. In other words, it will automatically scale the coordinates of the model to the correct dimensions in Cura, but reset the model scale to 100% so you don't get these comical scale values in the scale tool.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...