Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
tonycstech

Prime after extrusion ?

Does cura have prime ?

I set retraction for speed 40 (default) but made mm's down to 1 instead of 4.5 (default)

I do this because retraction must take place to avoid strings and other garbage, but once retracted nozzle moves to the next place of extrusion wiping its self on the way which causes filament being pulled out of the nozzzle.

This results in an dry print, especially when printing screw holes for an LCD case or such. Not one layer with PLA gets any of my holes filled with nice circular line, all messed up and half finished due to no filament after travel.

Perhaps there is an option to push more filament initnially after retraction or some soft of compensation or wipe prevention ?

How do you fight filament beilg pulled out from the nozzle during travel ?

Also does anybody know why i get no email notifications when someone replies ?

What type of printer are you using?

If it's a Bowden fed printer - e.g., an ultimaker - you need much more than 1mm for retraction; the first few mm of retraction just shorten the path of the filament in the Bowden, and don't actually move the filament at the hot end at all. Hence the 4.5mm setting.

What you may be seeing, in fact, is the effect of the 'enable combing' setting, where when moving within the print, Cura doesn't retract at all. That can definitely lead to the head being emptied in the way you describe. Try turning that off (and set the minimum travel distance to something small - like 1mm, and the minimal extrusion distance to 0.02 or less) (in Expert settings).

Also does anybody know why i get no email notifications when someone replies ?

You aren't following your own topic. That's why.

On top right corner of this page, look for "tonycstech". Click that and click "my settings" then "notification options" tab on left side, then check the first 8 checkboxes - most importantly the second one.

It takes at least 4mm for the pressure to be removed on the UM1. With only 4mm of retraction the filament is still pushing up on the top of the bowden at the top of the arc.

More likely you are printing too hot - the cooler you print, the less stringing but retraction is important also:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/1872-some-calibration-photographs/