Can Cura do anything with this 'manifold' issue?

terrypin

Posted · Can Cura do anything with this 'manifold' issue?

First post and I'm a beginner with 3D printing, Cura (and OpenSCAD, my current choice of CAD tool.)

Would appreciate help with this box I'd like to print please:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4598367

I commented there, and hope to hear from author, but meanwhile would appreciate help here please. I eventually managed to separate the two parts after installing Mesh Tools in my Cura 4.8. But, as no SCAD file was offered, can anything be done in Cura to fix whatever has caused the message "Your model is not manifold". Here are a couple of screenshots for further clarification:

Is it because one or more of the 'pillars' are not attached to the case? If so presumably I'd need the SCAD to work on that if the author doesn't do so?

09-Cura-NotManifold.jpg

Did you try slicing it anyway?  Sometimes there will be no issues.  The things to look for are holes filled in - areas filled in that should be open or things missing.  It's usually pretty obvious.

By the way, I have never had openSCAD create a non-manifold object - openSCAD is great.  I use it all the time.

By the way you should rotate those parts onto their backs I think.  Large flat area rotated down (you can rotate the part in cura easily - I suspect you know this).

Other tools to make a part manifold (there are dozens):

netfabb free repair service is here (you have to create a free account first):
    https://service.netfabb.com/login.php

Here's another service - drag and drop mesh repair service:
    https://3d-print.jomatik.de/en/index.php

Some people recommend tinkercad - it's free - you import your stl into tinkercad and then export it to a new stl and tinkercad will fix many issues.

To clarify about "slicing anyway".  After you slice you click onto PREVIEW mode and scroll through the layers to see if it is doing what you want.  Always look at your part in PREVIEW before printing it.  Always.  Always.

Thanks, very helpful, I'll pursue those suggestions.

It's currently printing after three failures. The first layer seemed to be 'lifting', paricularly at one corner. Even the current run had the same issue but this time I paused and snipped away a couple of small pieces.

I don't know what CAD SW the authors used. I use OpenSCAD.

I did display the preview but probably not carefully enough, as nothing struck me as wrong.

If the first layer is lifting then this has nothing to do with cura.  Here's a video I made about this - it's long - sorry - but I had to pack in a ton of valuable information:

Thanks, browsed your fascinating video and wil study more thoroughly if this problem reoccurs. 

I didn’t think it was a Cura-caused issue, but was asking if Cura could do anything to help isolate the cause. I still think that lies in the unavailable SCAD code. Naively, as a rookie, I thought perhaps Cura could identify the error. I suppose to some extent it has done, in that my screenshots appear to show ‘disembodied’ parts.

I took the precaution of giving the bed a clean with water (my first time) .  But still had another failure, apparently due to one corner not staying firmly down in the first layer. I stopped and repeated the run, but this time quickly moved the errant filament out of the way so that it didn’t cause total failure. Ended up with the hinged box being OK, apart from the damaged corner.

That’s why I think there may be a design flaw as well as the bed level issue. Over in Reddit I’m asking about the base problem, and will experiment with placing layers of kitchen foil under the central area in an attempt to correct what seems to be a warped glass plate.

I still think you should watch the video (again?).  The most likely issue is "squish" but it could be any of the 4 or so issues I list.  Lifted corners is... very very common when you are still learning how to do amazing bed adhesion.  I explain what causes it and how to fix it.

When you get good bed adhesion you will be asking a different question: how do i get these parts off the print bed?