Let's talk about TPU and the S5 (and probably other UM systems as well)

Choclit99

Posted · Let's talk about TPU and the S5 (and probably other UM systems as well)
I have been conducting experiments with different TPU filaments and here is what I find. All but one are supposedly TPU95A:

UM: works great!
Matterhackers: Won't load properly initially and quits loading during printing
Polymaker: same as Matterhackers
NinjaTek Cheetah: works great!
NinjaTek NinjaFlex (TPU 85A): same as Matterhackers

You can 100% predict whether or not the filament will work based on the initial load. The filaments that fail will stop the initial load 2-3 inches away from the print head because of friction in the Bowden tube. The UM and Cheetah don't quite make it to the print head but are within an inch. I just release the clamp and push them into the print head to save time on the initial load.

There are times when I really do want to use softer filaments. I have played around with the feed tension and that makes no difference. Has anyone had any success with these softer filaments and if so what did you do to overcome the friction problem?

• 4 weeks later...
    Posted · Let's talk about TPU and the S5 (and probably other UM systems as well)

I just printed my first print ever with TPU, UM TPU to be exact...wire tie from Thingiverse...

Kept all the Cura settings... except split the temp difference and printed at 230C...the default speed was about 25/sec and I recall Gr5 has discussed printing TPU slowly...25 seemed to be fine for this simple print.

The S3 printed it like an S3 prints everything ...fed properly, extruded properly, etc...smooooooth printing!

Any flaws in the print are, of course, my mistakes...not the S3.

I'm going to give the MH TPU a shot and see how it does

-MadNess

IMG_20210506_181335.jpg

IMG_20210506_180929.jpg

• 1 month later...
    Posted (edited) · Let's talk about TPU and the S5 (and probably other UM systems as well)
    On 4/7/2021 at 3:09 PM, Choclit99 said:
    I have been conducting experiments with different TPU filaments and here is what I find. All but one are supposedly TPU95A:

UM: works great!
    Matterhackers: Won't load properly initially and quits loading during printing
    Polymaker: same as Matterhackers
    NinjaTek Cheetah: works great!
    NinjaTek NinjaFlex (TPU 85A): same as Matterhackers

You can 100% predict whether or not the filament will work based on the initial load. The filaments that fail will stop the initial load 2-3 inches away from the print head because of friction in the Bowden tube. The UM and Cheetah don't quite make it to the print head but are within an inch. I just release the clamp and push them into the print head to save time on the initial load.

There are times when I really do want to use softer filaments. I have played around with the feed tension and that makes no difference. Has anyone had any success with these softer filaments and if so what did you do to overcome the friction problem?

Hi @Choclit99,

I'm pretty sure I have the solution for you.

Ultimaker 3D printers work great all round but have a lot of trouble printing flexibles.

While you can print Ultimaker TPU95A and other "hard" TPUs, you'll still have difficulty printing parts with complex shapes and that need support because the print cores will ooze like crazy!

That's why we developed a print head upgrade compatible with Ultimaker S3, S5 and S5 Pro Bundle that can print flawlessy TPU95A (Ultimaker) and also Ninjaflex 85A or any other commercially available TPU that we've had our hands on! 🙂

Here's a cool gif of a print on one of our customers Ultimaker S5.

TPU shoe AMG3D.gif

and here is the configuration:

1197581786_TPUAMGdruck.thumb.JPG.5c986eb33f3cd9f7e32bd6ede1de15fc.JPG

For more information please ask me here or go to http://www.amg3d.com

Edited by LeonardoFlorianAMG3D
    added image