Does the Ultimaker 2+ Connect Air Manager also keep the temperature around the build plate warm?

LucasLomans

Posted · Does the Ultimaker 2+ Connect Air Manager also keep the temperature around the build plate warm?

Hi everybody,

I am printing some parts with ABS and am encoutering some splitting. I guess I could use an enclosure for my Ultimaker 2+. I found the Ultimaker 2+ Connect Air Manager online. It seems though that it is marketed as a protection against toxic fumes. Does it also, however, keep the temperature around the build plate stable and warm, and does it protect the print against drafts?

Hope you all can give me some advice.

Lucas

Posted · Does the Ultimaker 2+ Connect Air Manager also keep the temperature around the build plate warm?

Note that the Ultimaker 2+ Connect cover WILL NOT FIT your ultimaker 2+.

1) I recommend not using ABS - not sure which property you care about but PLA is typically and tough PLA is tougher.  If you want higher temp filament there are other choices (depending on temperature) such as nGen and PETG that are easier to print and don't smell so horrible as ABS.

2) splitting is caused by bad layer adhesion.  You can simply lower the fan.  A lot.  Experiment with the fans - in TUNE menu, bring it down to 0% and then up very slowly until it starts spinning.  Note the minimum % where it can *start* spinning.  Once spinning you can lower it but you want the minimum starting percentage.  Use that number in your material settings on the printer.  

3) Try a cheap cover first.  Just use some saran wrap or better - use a large ziplock bag to cover the front.  Tape it with blue tape as it's temporary.  The S5 prints ABS just fine with only a front cover.  I recommend also a top cover - you can use a cardboard box unmodified.  The type that holds reems of paper should be perfect.  The box needs to be larger than the printer in the back to let the filament in.  It's okay if he box is MUCH larger and has huge air gaps.  It will still help.

Ideal air temp is 35C to 45C.  Try not to go over 45C (which is not a problem if you have large air holes.  With small amount of insulation you can also get the bed hotter - try to get it to 110C as this will help a huge amount with holding the print down onto the glass.  There is a huge difference between bed at 100C versus 110C.

4) After printing a few dozen prints, if you still like ABS and want nicer cover then there are solutions such as printedSolid.

• Like 2

Thanks for your extensive  reply gr5!

I have only tried printing with PLA and ABS. I liked that you can easily trim the printed parts with a knife with ABS. I will look into the other options you have mentioned.

I still have some spools of ABS left so I will give the other solutions you mentioned a try as well 😉

Sounds good.  Get a spool of nGen from colorFabb (Netherland company).  I think you'll like how it cuts with a knife as well.  And it looks good.  And it's so much easier to print than ABS and will tend to be 10X stronger than ABS (because ABS usually has poor layer adhesion) and it works in higher temps.  But if you don't need higher temps, the PLA is the best.  Oh and nGen doesn't smell bad.

• Like 1