Flow per material type?

Ch3vr0n

Posted · Flow per material type?

So i finally got around to calibrating my extruder after primarily getting to know it (only have it 4 months now). using a flowrate of 100% my CR-10 max was pushing out line widths of 0.52-0.55 with a nozzle diameter of 0.4. After doing flow tests on mutiple pla filaments i have i found out a flow of 85-86% results in walls of 0.4 (to max 0.42). Now i tried to set flowrate per material but that doesn't seem possible initially. Figured i'd go look for a plugin. Found "material settings" and while that DOES let you configure it in material profiles. It's not used in cura itself.

The plugin specifically states

This plugin does not change the fact that a setting value specified in the "sidebar" settings, or in a quality profile, always overrides the value set for a material

What's the point then of the plugin if the value set per material isn't respected in cura for slicing?

Posted (edited) · Flow per material type?

hmm, didn't get a notification email. Odd. Anyway, mine is a cr-10 max so only 1 extruder (no MMU upgrades)

If it is being respected, then why does the sidebar flow still sais 100%, unless i manually change it to 85? Or am i misinterpreting. Which one is correct?

• i specify a flow of 85 in material settings, leave cura at 100 (default) => should result in 85% flow (desired)
    • i specify a flow of 85 in material settings, leave cura at 100 (default) => results in 100% flow
    • i specify a flow of 85 in material settings, leave cura at 100 (default) EXCEP¨T i change "initial layer flow to 105%" for example => results in a 105% flow for layer 1 (or the number of "slow" layers?), after that changes to the flow in material settings (in this case 85%)
    • does changing quality profile override user material flow?
    Edited by Ch3vr0n

i did but you didn't answer the other points. If i specify 85% flow in material profile, and the quality profile i initially created (i have custom ones based on the defaults) states 100%. Which one is going to be used. The 85% one or the 100% that's "default" for that quality profile.

On 4/16/2021 at 5:19 PM, Ch3vr0n said:

i did but you didn't answer the other points. If i specify 85% flow in material profile, and the quality profile i initially created (i have custom ones based on the defaults) states 100%. Which one is going to be used. The 85% one or the 100% that's "default" for that quality profile.

If a quality profile defines a setting it will always override the material.

• Like 2

I have same question.

If i wish to set flow in material setting ... what i have to set in quality profile?
    100% ?

0%

Empty? ... But how do i set this in Cura.

4 hours ago, LordMM said:

what i have to set in quality profile?
    100% ?

0%

Empty?

That's the problem. You have to not set anything in the quality profile. Once it is in the quality profile, you cannot easily unset it in Cura.

The material settings plugin has an option to use the value from the material. Right click on the flow setting in the (custom) print settings.