About my agony of managing profile settings

heinzel

Posted · About my agony of managing profile settings

Hello you,
I love Cura. But one thing constantly drives me to despair: the material and print settings, saving and managing them.

The thing is that I like to adjust small settings here and there per material, which should be saved to the material.
But this is not possible without further ado.
The material library has only a few settings like temperature and retraction.
But what about the hundred other settings?
While the material library can be selected very distinctly, the print setting is very rigid, without subfolders or logical groupings.

I also find the message very confusing every time I change the print settings. In English it works somehow (but not well), in German it is totally weird.
I have been using Cura for 4 years now with a total of three printers. 

The material library seems to me to be the most useless function, because I can adjust these few settings faster than selecting the material.

Since there are hundreds of thousands of users who seem to be satisfied, the fault must be mine.

So now the question, what am I doing wrong, or are there any tips for me?
Am I really the only one confused here?

Thanks for helpful answers in advance.

Mic

Posted · About my agony of managing profile settings

"Am I really the only one confused here?"

No you are not.

My personal fix was to not bother with Material Settings.  I'm just a hobby guy so for me, it's overly complicated.

I have one Settings Profile for PLA and a second for PETG.  The only differences between the two are print speed, temperatures, and cooling.  When I start Cura, the first thing I do is check that ALL settings are visible.   Then I go over each and every setting, for every model, since geometry plays a big part in my slicing settings and every model is different.

It's what works for me.

And then I get sidetracked and forget to move the Zseam.  Such is life.