First time setup, print nozzles different heights?

HannahFink

Posted · First time setup, print nozzles different heights?

I'm setting up my printer for the first time and want to check that the differing nozzle heights is normal. I installed the BB 0.4 nozzle on the right side of the print head when prompted, but it appears to sit lower than the AA 0.4 which was already installed on the left. Is this normal? Should I have inserted the extra AA 0.4 on the right side? What is the difference between the two?

IMG_4793.JPG

IMG_4794.JPG

Posted · First time setup, print nozzles different heights?

Completely normal.  On the upper right face of the print head is a lever.  Pull that towards you and it will left the right core.  Release it and it lowers the right core back down (it needs to be lowered to slide the core in and out).

the cores are identical heights by themselves but the right core alway sits lower when you first slide it in (and higher when the left core is printing).

This is because the unused core, if used in the last few seconds, tends to leak a tiny bit so it's held just high enough over the part being printed so that filament doesne't end up in the part on some random spot.

It's okay also to have the BB core in the left and AA in the right but no one does this so I recommend you don't do this also.  But it should work.  I would hope.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies