3D systems CubeJet

braddock

Posted · 3D systems CubeJet

Haha, not impressed with their other printers though, would be good to see a consumer level SLS or DLP

You're absolutely correct. I'm a moron, post edited to avoid confusion :)

I don't think it is SLS or DLP, neither one to my knowledge could produce all those colors. I think it's a fine power combined with a binding agent emitted from a printer head almost identical to a 2D printers', after the binding material is ejected out of the moving head another layer of fresh fine powder is applied and the process repeats. The colors are mixtures of colored binding agent. I forget the technique, but I believe shapeways uses it.

I think you're right, a similar process to what was used in Paranorman

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/17/how-3d-printing-changed-the-face-of-paranorman/

I don't think it is SLS or DLP, neither one to my knowledge could produce all those colors. I think it's a fine power combined with a binding agent emitted from a printer head almost identical to a 2D printers', after the binding material is ejected out of the moving head another layer of fresh fine powder is applied and the process repeats. The colors are mixtures of colored binding agent. I forget the technique, but I believe shapeways uses it.

I'm very confused.

That's it, the Zcorp printers. An interesting idea, I also believe the structures are rather strong as well. I saw someone use a printed wrench made from one of these printers. I think the 3d printing technology that will end up on generic moms desk (in the somewhat distant future) will incorporate this because it doesn't require any support structure and almost no post processing, except just dusting off the piece. The downside sides I can see are maintenance, the powder has to be very fine and now we have respiratory issues and static cling (can't get that stuff on the printer head which is moving swiftly and very close to the power substrate); and the cost of the material, Zcorp says their stuff is 20 cents/cc which I can see adding up quickly, especially since you can't print hollow structures. I don't think most people want to print out cool functional stuff (although they should want to!!) but more aesthetic stuff, something this printer can do very simply.

I'm very confused.

These printers use 2d inkjet printer head technology: http://www.konicaminolta.com/inkjethead/technology/technology.html, not how they are all done but the basic principle. A piezoelectric material will deform shape as a function of current, this phenomena is taken advantage of to pump and squirt ink droplets through etched out channels and onto normally a paper substrate. The Zcorp and CubeJet printers use the same technology but instead of ink, it's colored glue; and instead of paper it's a constantly dropping and refreshing build substrate consisting of fine plastic powder (which I would be very interested in knowing how they make and the dimensions of the granules); the build substrate is refreshed by a rolling arm similar to laser sintering.

I also forgot, some inkjet heads use heat to vaporize some of the ink which forces a prescribed amount of ink out of the small holes in the printing head. I don't suspect this is how the printers are depositing their binding agents though.