Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
vinay

Power Supply on the Um 2 Making noises why?

Im not sure... but I know ultimaker did by accident ship some bad power supply blocks a few weeks ago. Think they got those all replaced now... Sounds like your block is choking on the voltage needed for the ultimaker 2 with its heated bed..

Is the block getting very hot ?... to touch ?

Ian :-)

Yep, I agree with gr5, it sounds like the motor is turning. Look very closely at the shaft inside (maybe put a dot on it with a marker) and see if is turning.

As for the power supply. To me it sounds kinda like a bad contact, like it's arching, are you sure the mains cable is jammed in there real good? I found that the connection on my supply was a bit sub par to be honest, it doesn't feel as secure as other supplies I've used. On the first night I accidentally kicked the brick and the cable came loose.

Modern power supplies are amazingly efficient and use "switching" techniques meaning there is an oscillator. Often the oscillator is at an audible frequency (a hissing sound). The energy can be very high in a very small area and there can be strong electric or magnetic fields. The magnetic fields can cause certain materials to move (vibrate) at the same frequencies. So it's common for power supplies (especially the bigger ones) to make a faint sound.

The power usage for your Ultimaker is mostly in the heated bed. So I would expect a different sound when the heated bed is on or off. When the HB gets with 15C of final temp the bed is turned on and off severa (5?) times per second. If you look at the lights in the UM they flicker a little. The power supply may increase and decrease it's hiss sound at the same frequency.