Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
mcmarkus

Unpacking UM2

Hi,

finally my UM2 arrived today, awesome machine!

But, unlike the manual, the packaging is a little different, so before making mistakes and damage, I need some infos to proceed.

1) I've found two carton frames that locked the head and I removed them (one of them was really difficult to take out), no other items, is it correct? Or I need to look for something else to unlock the head?

2) The glass basement is located under the moving plate; at the moment I didn't connected the UM2 to the power supply, but I figured that I need to move the plate. Is it correct?

Waiting impatiently... :-)

Thanks in advance,

Marco.

make sure your glass plate is carefully clicked into place on the metal heated bed.. there are 4 little metal clips on the heated bed that should be clicked onto the glass.

Also please check if there are cable ties around the axis blocks.. if you see the black bag ties... carefully remove them.

Any other packaging you find... just carefully take it off..

Then power on your new baby and go through the inital setup... ie... plate height and leveling and loading material.

You should be happily printing in about 5 minutes :smile:

Ian :-)

You can manually turn the screw to move the bed up (beware, it's greasy :) ).

Or you can carefully grab the bed towards the back of the printer and pull on it upwards. If you grab it at the front you put unnecessary torque on the bed and bend it upwards.

I guess you could also power the machine up and use the Maintenance menu to move the bed up but I'm not sure how much room is left under the bed so I don't know if it will hit the glass when it tries to home the bed. Therefore I can't recommend it.

The um2 is very tough. Don't worry so much.

Before powering on I recommend you push the black print head around. If it doesn't move then look for cable ties holding it in place.

Pretty much all the servos and mechanism is designed to run uncontrolled and slam into the end and nothing should get damaged (other than anything you might stick in there like your hand).

Just turn the screw man :) It's no big deal.

It's no big deal as long as you have access to soap and water to clean your fingers after.