Printing Via USB

hekistner

Posted · Printing Via USB

When I print through the USB port the printing does not reset the software when the item has been completely printed. I have to do it manually before I can start another part printing.. Is this normal or is there a setting I can change in Cura to do this..

Also in the monitor setting where you can set the preheating the bed preheat works fine but the nozzle preheat can be started at first but after the first cycle them it becomes inoperable and I have to go to the printer and select the nozzle preheat. I can close out Cura and restart it and the screen preheat will work.

I have notice that on the monitor screen the Z and XY home selections do not work and the Z control works backwards. The first time I tried to use the Z control I drove my nozzle into the bed because I selected the down and the bed went up so had to select the ^  to get the bed down I sure was surprised. These items maybe right to others in their thinking.. As a newb to the 3D printing world it has sure been a learning experience...

Thanks

Harold 

Posted · Printing Via USB

I can't help you with most of this.  But down arrow means nozzle goes "down" to the bed or gets "closer" to the bed or "down towards z=0" which is as down as you can get.  Nozzle hitting bed is all the way down.

For printers where the bed moves (I'd say 90% of printers, the nozzle moves up and down, not the bed), it is indeed counter-intuitive (I have often done what you did) but also correct.  This is also how it works in octoprint (which I strongly recommend you switch to - try octoprint with a $25 raspberry pi - it's amazing) and how it works in pronterface (also better software than cura for printing over USB).

For people who's bed moves in Y (like prusa printers, creality printers) they complain as well (I hit the moveY up button but the bed moved towards me instead of away). 

The 8 arrows are from the nozzle perspective.  not the bed.

Posted (edited) · Printing Via USB

"...the printing does not reset the software..."

Are you referring to resetting the flow rate or feed rate after a print?  That can be done in the machines End Gcode in Cura by adding an M220 and M221.

This is part of my End Gcode:

G1 X0 Y{machine_depth} ;Present print

M106 S0 ;Turn-off fan

M104 S0 ;Turn-off hotend

M140 S0 ;Turn-off bed

M220 S100 ;Reset Feed Rate

M221 S100 ;Reset Flow Rate

M84 X Y E ;Disable all steppers but Z

Edited by GregValiant