PLA Expansion

Posted · PLA Expansion

I'm trying to print a 3d file that has two parts that join together like a dovetail joint. When I print the file on an Ultimaker 3S using PLA, the pieces are a couple millimeters too large and don't fit together. However when I print the same model with similar settings on a FlashForge (also with PLA), the pieces slide together snuggly. I can provide some more details but generally speaking, is there a simple solution to preventing 3D prints from slightly expanding? Again, most of the settings for the model are similar (I'm using Cura for the Ultimaker and Simplify3D for the FlashForge).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted · PLA Expansion

Use the Engineering profile for your S3 which is much more dimensional accurate. The key to get success is to print slow and with equalized speeds for the different wall types.

If you get still problems you can use the horizontal expansion with a negative value to compensate the expansion.