Is there a way to implement new filaments to the printer directly?

Posted · Is there a way to implement new filaments to the printer directly?

Hi, I am trying to find a way to implement different settings to the printer UM3 ext. so I don´ t have to workaround everytime I use some special filament.

It is always "apita" for me to adapt to the nearest value to do the calibration an then override the print every time with Cura to the values of the filament.

If there ist anything I can to (even with modding) I would be so happy...

Greetings

Daniel

PS: I tried to upload some filaments to Cura (4.9.1) from the Marketplace (ColorFabb & BASF Filaments) but they don´ t show up in the material section, but they are marked as "installed"....? What ist wrong here. I don`  t get it.

Personally I don't use it, but it should be possible to create your own material profiles in Cura and I think they are also synchronized to the printer. But I am not sure if the synchronization of custom profiles is already working, I just know it was planned and not sure if it was also planned for UM3.

But what's the problem to use just a generic profile when loading a filament? I mean the profile you select on the printer is just that the printer knows which temperature is used for the initial loading/exturding. Everything else comes later from Cura. So is really doesn't matter which profile you select during the load process. 

If you want to get rid of the message that you have a wrong filament loaded when you have selected something different in Cura you can work with custom material profiles that use the same material type. For example you load BASF PLA, then select the normal PLA profile in the printer. In Cura you duplicate the Generic PLA profile, leave the material type field as is, because that's the field which is used to check if you have loaded the correct material and then adjust the settings as you want and need. So you can use your new BASF profile in Cura with specific settings for your material and the printer should not come up with a warning message that you have not loaded the correct material, because it is basically a Generic PLA profile just with different settings. And so you can add Colorfabb, BASF and whatever you want.

41 minutes ago, HaryPlotter said:

PS: I tried to upload some filaments to Cura (4.9.1) from the Marketplace (ColorFabb & BASF Filaments) but they don´ t show up in the material section, but they are marked as "installed"....? What ist wrong here. I don`  t get it.

Material profiles from the marketplace are made by the vendors for specific printers only. So when they didn't mark the profile to be compatible with the UM3, the profile is not selectable when you have the UM3 active in your Cura project.

• Like 2

Hi Smithy,

thanks for the answer(s). The workaround I understood. It is a petty though that the printer isn´  t made to do that easier..

For the Material profiles I understood that my printer isn´  t compatible with the filaments offered .. by the vendor. Nonetheless I use those filaments for a half eternity and most of them seem to work just fine... so I probably have to think about other reasons why they should block it (which I don´  t);O)

So far so good. Hope to hear from some good new inventions soon!

PS: It´ s a petty that the S5 now will not allow for the automatic calibration to be turned off..

A new printer should come with a laser guided calibration (more accurate, more reliable, no mooving parts...)

PPS: I don ´  t know if they solved it jet, but I was having alot of trouble with rols that were just out of  filament, when I was out of home. So I was working on that solution but in lack of programming power with an arduino and not enough time this project got stuck with the hardware only. Maybe they fix this problem on one of the new printers...

PPPS: Last but not least I would be really blessed to find an UM-X with an integrated 3D scanner (a good one), so that I can manipulate things first and then print the next version...

I´ m now planning on installing a USV, because a 3 day print was shredded becaus of a lighning-out of 1 sec. That was pretty "un-nice"! For this I would need some hints about the Amp and Volts that the UM3 would use max. But that I guess will need another topic. So here we go..

Greetings

Daniel

19 minutes ago, HaryPlotter said:

I use those filaments for a half eternity and most of them seem to work just fine... so I probably have to think about other reasons why they should block it (which I don´  t);O)

The answer is easy, they just haven't tested the filament on all printers or just configured the latest models. Even if it would work with others, a vendor wants to be sure that the settings are really working.

22 minutes ago, HaryPlotter said:

PS: It´ s a petty that the S5 now will not allow for the automatic calibration to be turned off..

Yes and no, the active leveling works good and for that bed size it is needed. So better to have it enabled all the time than someone turned it off and complains about problems.

24 minutes ago, HaryPlotter said:

PPS: I don ´  t know if they solved it jet, but I was having alot of trouble with rols that were just out of  filament, when I was out of home.

Yes, the S3 and the S5 have sensors to detect filament problems.

26 minutes ago, HaryPlotter said:

I´ m now planning on installing a USV, because a 3 day print was shredded becaus of a lighning-out of 1 sec. That was pretty "un-nice"! For this I would need some hints about the Amp and Volts that the UM3 would use max.

A good starting point are the specs of the power brick. Your USV should match these requirements and then you have to decide how long the USV should be able to power your printer. Most current is needed in the beginning of a print job, to heat up the bed and the nozzle. During a print the print don't need so much power.