Update Firmware UM3 4.3.3 => 5.2.16 results in printfault and not working printer

The_real_Oscar48

Posted (edited) · Update Firmware UM3 4.3.3 => 5.2.16 results in printfault and not working printer

Hello,

after not using my UM3 for over a year, had some peronal matters, I started this weekend again. After switching on the UM3 I got the message there was a Firmware update ready.

No problems installing the new firmware on my UM3. After starting up Cura I also got the message there was a new version of Curo, so I update Cura aswell. Loading the two parts I wanted to print in Cura, sliced and send them over the the UM3 unit. All went well and the UM3 started heating up and autolevel. Then after a minute of 6-8 the UM3 LED light was flickering and the unit restarted and boot up again. the message was 'print failed'. I started the print again and just the same was happening. Tried a differend printfile and a older version of Cura but the result is the same. After a few minutes after the UM3 starts printing the unit reboot.

I read that there should be a firmware update between 4.3.3 and 5.2.16 but when switching on the UM3 first and updated that unit I didn't know.

How can I get my printer running again?

Best Regards,

Oscar  

Edited by The_real_Oscar48

• The_real_Oscar48 changed the title to Update Firmware UM3 4.3.3 => 5.2.16 results in printfault and not working printer
    Posted (edited) · Update Firmware UM3 4.3.3 => 5.2.16 results in printfault and not working printer

Hi Oscar,

you possibly need to "unbrick" your UM3, but that's no hard matter and should easily be done.

There're some useful posts in this forum, as

or the very useful page of @gr5 mentioned in one of the last posts of o.g. topic:

http://gr5.org/unbricking/

Here is the "old" unbricking procedure by Ultimaker, which is withdrawn by them, but still may be valid in my oppinion (but I deny all responsibility; I never was forced to unbrick my UM3, so my knowledge is only second hand and hearsay):

567519794_WorkInstructionsUltimaker3firmwarerecovery.pdf

the linked recovery file in this instructions should be FW 4.3.3., according to the size of 324.608 KB

I hope I could help

Regards

Edit: the link in the first post of the unbricking topic mentioned above also leads to the img. of FW 4.3.3

Edited by Enigma_M4
    postscriptum

Posted · Update Firmware UM3 4.3.3 => 5.2.16 results in printfault and not working printer

Some aditional thoughts for your FW update:

after you restored 4.3.3 and (re)started the update process, the UM3 will be updated to a version 4.x.x., which is only a stepping stone for the 5.x versions, as you already noticed. From this 4.x.x. it will (automatically?) install the actual version, which works well. The only issue I noticed when installing it (right when it was released) is an issue displaying the used material in the analytics section of cura connect, which is promised by Ultimaker to be fixed in the next update.

Regards