How do I Work Model Supports?

BPartmaker

Posted (edited) · How do I Work Model Supports?

Hello,

I am new to the forum, I recently got an Ender 3 Pro printer. I am using Cura Slicer 4.9.1.

My issue is that when I make a model the supports are thicker than the walls of my 20% infilled model. This causes the models to fall apart when I try to remove the supports. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Edited by BPartmaker

• BPartmaker changed the title to How do I Work Model Supports?
    Posted · How do I Work Model Supports?

Or design your custom supports in CAD, as part of the design, integrated into it. Then switch off supports in the slicer.

Standard supports are good for standard situations. But special situations might require special supports. You can make custom gaps between supports and model, you can include holes and other features to insert pliers or hooks to make removal easier, etc...

A few examples:

Custom orange and pink supports, with custom brims, that can easily be grabbed by pliers and wiggled out. These are tiny items, too small to get in there with a knife.

ostrcp_key_v20_zoom.thumb.jpg.c85991865979ff09557a37d9ca6ad20f.jpg

Free hanging supports, easy to remove, and they don't damage the bottom. These are a bit wider than the part they support, so I can easily push them down with a tiny screwdriver:

supporttest12b.thumb.png.504e11c4d360abd18960d889c271f2a4.png

Idem, front view. Width of the gap is ca. 5mm, ribs on the support are 0.5mm, inverted stairs at bottom of the support are 1mm:

supporttest12c.thumb.png.a4bbb089d43486b97df974e68e645196.png

Try your concept on a small test model, before doing a big model.

Posted (edited) · How do I Work Model Supports?

You need to change your visibility settings to advanced.

1884168410_Screenshot(188).thumb.png.17ef80c618cf7186df7d32df686e7968.png1419701681_Screenshot(187).thumb.png.5e593d8afbe31c33642c973342b7c2a8.png

And then support structure is visible.

1003313889_Screenshot(189).thumb.png.d5c3b3fafa7afefd08270e211663c63c.png

Or you could search in the search bar for support structure. 

Edited by fvrmr
    • Like 1

Posted · How do I Work Model Supports?

Thank you! That solved it! All that's left is to test it out.