S5 + Material station issue when automatic spool switch

Posted (edited) · S5 + Material station issue when automatic spool switch

Hi all,

I recently purchased the material station to go with my S5. One thing I haven't figured out is if there are any settings that I can modify for the material station itself?

When I'm doing a large print and a spool runs out, it'll auto swap to the next available spool. However, this creates a 1 layer gap in my prints every time, it does not seem like the prime blob function has any effect or/and it is not priming the next spool enough to get a continuous stream of material between spools.
Is there any way I can tell it to prime more before resuming the print with a new spool? Why is this already not a setting that's easily available?

I attached a picture which shows the 3 times that it swapped a spool (I had some leftovers that I decided to use up). It basically creates a gap between layers on all parts and once I get the parts out I need to glue them back together.

It's completely ruining our prints and was one of the major benefits of getting the station for us.

Thank you.

IMG_5159.jpg

Edited by Farnsworth9

Posted · S5 + Material station issue when automatic spool switch

If you have Cura 4.9 installed, you should change to 4.9.1. With 4.9 I also had problems with the prime blob. It extrudes too little at the beginning. I don't lose any layers at the moment, although I mainly work with 0.8 nozzles.

Many greetings

Hello,

Yes I already have the 4.9.1 installed, but still the same issue. It needs to prime a looot if it's going to be ready for the next spool basically, hard for me to know how much as I'm never present during spools changes.

Hello

In the early days I had also pursued such projects with the material station.

Thank you for the picture. It gives you the idea that maybe the Z-axis is dirty.

But it could also be due to the printer's firmware.

The current firmware 6.4 only makes a clean deprime on -abort- with Ultimaker filament. So if you work with generic Filamant, it can theoretically come to such effects. The next version should fix this.

Now, of course, I don't know if you are working with generic filament. And I don't know if -abort- off is the same as changing the material. Just a suspicion.

Many greetings