Importing 3MF Lattices

burhop

Posted · Importing 3MF Lattices

When I import a .3MF file with lattices, it doesn't load them.  The lattices do load in other software.  

Googling, I saw this PPT that mentions a 2018 lattice extension.  Maybe this hasn't been added for CURA yet? I'm using 4.9.1

https://3mf.io/wp-content/uploads/sites/106/2021/02/3MF_Overview_Website_PPT-Updated-July-2020.pptx

I can convert my 3MF to STL as a workaround but I'm hoping there is a better solution.

There are several (optional) extensions for 3mf, the lattice extension is one of them. As Cuq already mentioned, the lattices are mostly intended for SLA/SLM printing. As such, we never put in the effort to support the lattice extension.

Hi nallath.

while I agree FDM can have some difficulties in printing lattices,  the real reasons they are not used is because of other reasons (good software for creating them for example).  

In the end, FDM is still "mostly" used for prototyping and doing FDM models before going to other methods is pretty common.   For example, the image at the top of this article was first done on an Ultimaker before printing on an EOS metal powder bed printer.   https://new.siemens.com/us/en/company/press/siemens-stories/corporate-technology/design-in-the-future-siemens-works-with-darpa-on-revolutionary-technology-to-support-tomorrows-ultra-complex-products.html

CURA removing part of the model because it is not "appropriate" doesn't seem like the right argument. Better to say we don't have a lot of customers asking for it so it is not high on our list of new features.  The Ultimaker had no problem printing the model above or any number of other models I have here.  You just have to use an STL file to get it there.