First time Basf Ultrafuse 316L

Woezerd

Posted · First time Basf Ultrafuse 316L

Hi there,

I’m trying to print a design I made in Ultrafuse 316L, a stainless steel material…

I have downloaded the Cura settings, but I don’t no what to choose when loading the material on my UM S3

please advise,

thx

1) In cura go to "marketplace" in the upper right corner and choose the center tab (materials) and then BASF and then scroll down to ultrafuse 316L and click "install" and when done restart cura.  Is that what you meant by you "downloaded" it?

2) In cura go to PREVIEW mode and near the top click on either left or right core (doesn't matter which) and it pops up a dialog and *there* choose the left core and change the core to "CC 0.6" and change the material to "basf ultrafuse 316L quality", "basf ultrafuse 316L quality".

3) Click on left or right core again near top and uncheck the "enable" box for the right core.

4) Open your STL file in cura and, if you haven't already done this in CAD, select your model, choose the scale tool on the left, uncheck "uniform scaling" and scale the X,Y by one factor and Z by another (see advice from basf for scale factors).  Slice it.

5) After printing I believe you leave all support material attached.  That comes off after annealing I think.

Thanks gr5,

I wasn’t clear enough in my question, sorry for that, but anyway😀

What I mean is: what type of material should I choose after loading the filament on my UMS3… After loading the filamentspool, before forwarding the filament, the machine wants to know (because it doesn’t recognize the material) what type of filament it is…

Which one should I choose? (Ultrafuse 316L is not an option)

hope to hear from you again,

regards

Woezerd

I've never done this but somehow cura transfers the materials to the printer.  I think there are at least 3 ways to transfer the material - you can try to print something sliced with the material (3 ways to do that - USB flash, cura connect, digital factory) and that should transfer the material.  Also if you restart Cura and connect to the printer through the internet I believe it transfers all materials at that moment as well.

So you could start a print and than cancel it before it starts (or when it complains you have the wrong material loaded) and at that point it should now know about 316L.