Ultimaker S5 (R1) show motor issues after update(s)

Posted · Ultimaker S5 (R1) show motor issues after update(s)

Hi,

I'm using an Ultimaker S5 (R1) and time ago it asked my to update to 6.2.1, some time later it indicated that there is 6.4.1 and I updated as well, but without starting any print in between.

Later (also without printing) I unloaded both filaments and switched the printer off. Now, after long time of "abstinence" I wanted to print and the printer indicated "Z-switch error". The switch is free and it works (as well as x and y switch) - tested via diagnosis menu. I already tried to reset to factory settings, installed the restore image (um-restore-6.1.1-R1.img), reseted to factory settings, flashed 6.2.1 and 6.4.1 again (reset to factory settings) without an success. But I noticed that also x and y movement doesn't work and if I try to move filament (after the try to increase the temperature, it also indicates an error (but the selected hot end starts to blink). In case I want to trigger a move (head or bed), I can hear a soft "knock", as if the motors try to move, but can't (even, if all axis are easy to move).

Somehow it looks like that the motor currents are set to a value that is completly too low. Are there any possibities to run checks on the Olimex (?) and / or the Ultimaker controller board, before asking for a replacement?

Regards

Oliver

Posted · Ultimaker S5 (R1) show motor issues after update(s)

Hi @HWFrickeler, thank you for your message and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear it sounds like you are having some issues with your Ultimaker S5. Did the Ultimaker S5 work properly before the firmware updates?

What error are you getting when you try to increase the temperature?

If you instruct your Ultimaker S5 to send the print head home or calibrate the lift switch you get nothing more than a knock? Sometimes when a certain task is ended and the bed it already at the bottom position it repositions very slightly which may sound like a soft knock, but it is fine. 

I don't think we have any instructions to share to run some self tests on the electronics, but perhaps our product experts or local partners might be able to help. You can reach them by submitting a ticket via this link, hope this helps! Good luck!