Pellets and Multiple Heat Zones

LePaul

Posted · Pellets and Multiple Heat Zones

Hi,

Does Cura support, and is anyone using, Cura for hot ends with multiple heat zones?

We have two GigaBotX pellet fed machines and they advise the use of Simply3D.  We have used it for a year now and that combination works alright.

However S3D hasn't seen any updates in over a year.

I have my staff using Cura and the GigabotX is the one machine not using it  🙂

Thanks!

Posted (edited) · Pellets and Multiple Heat Zones

I haven't been here that long but I can recall one HERE.  It is this picture I think that shows his hot end best and it looks like he has a three heater system on the hot end.  I left a couple messages but he did not get back.

Edited by GregValiant

That boat video you refer to is what we printed here (I'm on that team)  

I just submitted a support ticket to re3D, the makers of the GigabotX pellet-fed machine we use to test materials.  They offer an S3D one that works but as I mentioned previously, we largely use and train with Cura now and we haven't seen an S3D update in quite some time.

5 hours ago, nallath said:

What support would you need for multiple hot zones? How would the g-code they generate be different from "regular" printers?

Thanks for asking, I think this would a great opportunity to Ultimaker Cura to replace what's largely been something only Simplify3D could do.   I have two thoughts!

1)  I can work on linking you up with re3D (makers of the Gigabot machines).  Given they make giant stuff and Ultimaker makes smaller stuff, I don't see why the two companies couldn't collaborate.  If you want me to contact offline (email), let me know.  It would be good to have you speak directly with the people I have worked with over there.

2)  To get your creative juices flowing, here's the link to their slicer settings section of their website. 

https://re3d.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360037613411-Gigabot-Printing-Profiles-Simplify3D-Slic3r-Cura-

As you scroll down, the machine of interest is the Gigabot X Reg Firmware 1.3.  This is the machine we have and I would be most interested in seeing if Cura can drive it.   If you have S3D handy, just import the profile, use their premade profiles (i.e. PETG) and you can see the multiple temp settings in the Temps. 

The GigabotX utilizes pellets, as most medium and large scale printers do.

That said, I think it would be excellent if Cura offered support for these pellet machines.  I can speak from experience with Medium and Large scale 3D printing, we would love more options!

• Like 1

@nallath I sent you and the re3D people I speak to the most an email.  

Hi guys, was anything resolved in regards to this? We are looking into getting a pellet extruder with multiple heat zones, and would like an option to use Cura. For now, you can add a heating element through additional extruders but this is a bit clunky.