Blender model doesnt have walls/faces - how to generate for a 3D print

Posted · Blender model doesnt have walls/faces - how to generate for a 3D print

Hi, apologies if this isnt the best category to post in, I was unsure. 

I made a 3D cube in blender to print, however in cura when sliced, it shows that walls dont print. Does anybody know how i can fill these gaps to make outer walls?

If i use the 'Solidify' modifier and add thickness, it generates walls but it wont generate any infill or side faces. From the wireframe you can see the sides are basically circle geometries which cura takes as a big gap. Obviously this isnt what we want to be able to print. Is there a blender way to make a mesh 3D print friendly? or a 3rd party software tool to generate a solid block so the 3D print can handle it? Or do I just need to be better at 3D modelling 😛

Thanks

wireframe.JPG

cura blank.JPG

solidified.JPG

You can see in the view from Blender that the letters have some depth.  The walls look very thin and likely can't be printed.  Your outer skin on the model needs some thickness.

I don't know Blender but generally any object must exist in three dimensions to print.  When you have a single surface it doesn't qualify since it has no Z dimension.  Now if you could extrude that surface then you might have something workable.

Hey guys,

First of all, thankyou so much for all of your help and fast responses. New to printing and modelling its all very intimidating and overwhelming but im learning fast and i cant tell you how much i appreciate the responses!

I ended up going back to blender, did a lot of undo, deletes and googles but eventually managed to make the model with some thickness (although i cheated by duplicating the initial cube and sizing it down a little). Finally got a decent print of this for my friend's birthday. 

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
    On 7/11/2021 at 4:37 AM, deedot said:

....but eventually managed to make the model with some thickness (although i cheated by duplicating the initial cube and sizing it down a little)

That tells me that something went wrong at that stage in your original model. When I taught 3D graphics, I used to tell people to just start over. You will waste less time and learn more, establishing solid working practices. You did that by making the new box and manipulating it instead of righting an error filled model.

That is half the battle right there. Would like to see a pic of the print. 🙂