I have Question Modifying the Cura

ARSTAR

Posted · I have Question Modifying the Cura

Hello, I'm a student interested in 3D printers

I'd like to make a 3D printer this time

But I want to modify Cura because there is a function that Cura does not support

1. Are there many cases where people modify Cura and build it themselves?

2. I'd like to have two heaters in one extruder and one single nozzle, but the Cura can only have one Temperature setting in one extruder

I want to modify Cura and make two Temperature settings on one Extruder, is this possible?

3. If possible, could you tell me what to do?
I have novice developer-level skills in programming

Even if it's hard for you to explain,
I am grateful for that.

Thank you

1. Yes. @burtoogle maintains his own fork of Cura, which has many features that Ultimaker Cura does not have.

See https://github.com/smartavionics/Cura/releases

2. This is already implemented in Ultimaker Cura, though it is hidden and you basically need the Printer Settings plugin to access it. However, the functionality is part of the aforementioned fork by @burtoogle

• Thanks 1

I looked into the functions of the Cura Master you told me about, but I didn't have the functions I needed
    Isn't there a 3D printer that has two heaters inside one extruder?
    Of course, the temperature of the two heaters must be set differently

If not, would I have no choice but to revise Cura's code myself?

Posted (edited) · I have Question Modifying the Cura

I may have misread the feature you would like. I thought you wanted to share one heater between two extruders (a "mixing" type hotend that allows two colors/materials from a single nozzle), but you seem to want two heaters for a single material/color. How would that work? One hotend can not have two temperatures at the same time.

Edited by ahoeben

I think the easiest way to do what you want to do is to "post process" the gcode produced by Cura using a Postprocessing script. Look at the postprocessing plugin that comes with Cura. It has scripts that are written in Python, which are fairly easy to get in to.

Posted (edited) · I have Question Modifying the Cura

Thank you very much for your reply.
    I don't know what's possible or impossible because I still have basic knowledge.
    So your reply was very helpful.
    And I'm sorry I didn't do it, because I had to explain exactly.

To explain exactly what I want to make, there is not one heating block in one Hotend.
    Put 2 heating blocks in 1 Hotend.

The reason I'm trying to make this happen is for a much faster output speed.
    At high output speeds, the filament does not melt properly because of the short melting time when the filament passes through one heating block.

Therefore, my plan is to preheat the filament when it passes through the heating block at low temperature and melt it in a short time at the heating block at high temperature.

The rough idea is as follows in the following picture.

20210715_180209058.png

20210715_180255378.png

Will this help me get the answer I want a little more?

Edited by ARSTAR

A postprocessing script that looks for M104 gcode lines, and inserts an additional M104 for the second heater is the most straightforward, I think.

If you want to make that into a plugin with settings of its own, you may want to look at the Z Offset plugin as an example.

https://github.com/fieldOfView/Cura-ZOffsetPlugin

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much.
    I really appreciate your help.
    It is difficult for me to solve this problem right now, but I will solve it slowly as you taught me.
    You're a genius.

• Thanks 1