Cura adding layers to fill in holes.

hawkeye1103

Posted · Cura adding layers to fill in holes.

Hello, relatively new user here. I have been having issues on a few different files where Cura will add layers of flat fill to any cylindrical object to close it off. Files have been from multiple places including files I purchased. These examples are finger pieces for a glove. X-ray shows no red, all Mesh Fixes boxes unchecked. Original files were brought straight into Cura or if needed separated in Meshmixer to reorient them to fit print bed (this example). Running Windows 10 and Cura 4.10.0. 

Like I said this is one example but it has been happening on any file where there is a cylindrical opening. I had an empty bowl shape want to fill half itself in with infill in one case. Only separating the shape into 4 quadrants fixed it. Any help would be appreciated.

Screenshot 2021-07-16 180729.png

Screenshot 2021-07-16 180711.png

Screenshot 2021-07-16 180743.png

Screenshot 2021-07-16 180802.png

Screenshot 2021-07-16 184830.png

little_finger.stl

You see in the "Mesh Fixes" section there is a setting for "remove all holes" and those models are slicing as if it was turned on.  Try turning it on - slice, then turn it off and slice again.  See if the problem resolves itself.

There can be occasions when a setting box is unchecked, but a profile or printer definition loads and the setting variable is enabled in the background but the checkbox isn't updated.  It looks like it's turned off but it's on.  Fortunately it doesn't happen often and seems to require a specific series of events for the problem to occur.

The Cura team looks for those sorts of things in order to fix the problem.  Did you happen to have custom profiles and then work with a 3mf file?

That worked, thanks!

I did edit some of the standard print settings for this. I assume that is what you mean by custom profile? It is not a 3mf file though, standard STL (unless I am totally missing something) is how I exported them out of Meshmixer.

A printer has a definition file and it tells Cura some max parameters and things like build plate size.  Materials have particular print settings and a profile will have further settings that can override the others.  Fine, Standard, Coarse are built in profiles and you can add your own custom profiles.  Kind of a favorites thing.  As long as it is slicing correctly it should stay working.  

Posted (edited) · Cura adding layers to fill in holes.

Hey, I have the same problem! but I've tried what you wrote to do, and it doesn't work.

what else can I try?

CURA 5.5

ultimaker s5

Edited by elyasaf
    adding information about my system

Please post a picture of what you are talking about.

Also it would be great if you can post your project file: do menu item "file" "save project" and post the resulting file here.