When you're dumb, ya suffer.

GregValiant

Posted · When you're dumb, ya suffer.

I bought the wife a 2004 Mustang convertible.  Nice car with only 50,000 miles (that's 80,500 kilometers for most folks...176,000,000 cubits for us old guys).

The convertible top quit working (of course in the down position).  No problem, U-Tube to the rescue.  I watched three different videos until I get to the proper year.  They had this one thing in common so I saw and heard this three times...

"Take the rubber plug out of the back of the reservoir being very careful not to break it".

So here is the thing I made today.  A rubber plug for the reservoir of a convertible-top motor of a 2004 red Mustang convertible.

Now you understand the title of the post.  (Three times I saw it!)

PS:  I got the top working right before the rain.  I guess it is better to be lucky than good.

DSCN2669.thumb.JPG.0d78eafb67ecb3994a4d7eef726c808c.JPG

• Like 1

The plug is an over-engineered cork that holds the hydraulic oil in the reservoir.  Refilling the oil got the top moving again.  The reason that it needed a refill is that the lift cylinder seals leak.  I'll watch another dozen videos with a plan that involves printing new seals for the lift cylinders.  I have a feeling I should also search for replacement cylinders after my experience with the plug.  Pathetic really.

It was Phyllis Diller who said "Getting old ain't for sissies."  She was right.

• 2 weeks later...

Removing all the hydraulics and electrics, and just pulling the top open and closed by hand, like in the Mazda MX5 (Mazda "Miata" in the USA?), wouldn't that be an option? At least, our hands work reliable. If not, we shouldn't be driving at all.   :-)

(PS: indeed, I know how such car-jobs go: I am just now searching and watching dozens of videos to see if and how I can make the headrests of my car removable or retractable easily, so I get better visibility sideways and to the rear. I know how to remove them permanently, but I want a easy foldable/retractable solution. I will have to do myself what car companies couldn't figure out in 50 years with their zillion dollar budget... But this one will probably require steel, not 3D-printed plastics, for safety...)

"Removing all the hydraulics and electrics, and just pulling the top open and closed by hand"

I'm married and it's her car.  I would never consider asking about that (she knows where her rolling pin is).  In fact, I put new lift cylinders in it this morning.  It took an hour for the job and another hour perusing UTube to figure out how to get access and remove the interior trim.  It's all fixed now.

• Like 2

I recently bought a Chevy G20 van and it also has an electronic sofa bed in the back, where via a switch it folds down into a bed or up into the couch again. While it is fancy when it works, I probably would have preferred if it were a manual setup too following the same mindset as @geert_2, it is another thing that can break down and I know I'll always be able to count on myself. But I'll probably keep this set up for as long as it works. 

There is one cover for a light missing on the side which I'll 3D print, but hopefully I'll be able to print some more exciting things too 😉