Very tiny part, can't get support right

Ch3vr0n

Posted (edited) · Very tiny part, can't get support right

I have a very tiny part, that i'd love to print with a 0.4mm nozzle. It needs to stand upright. Can anyone make it work and post the settings? I'm still very new at this. This particular part will usually be printed in multiples of 6, or 1 single

Filament_Plug.stl

Edited by Ch3vr0n

Posted · Very tiny part, can't get support right

Try printing with a brim to stop it falling over. Make the brim quite wide.  You will also need to activate supports to give something for the overhang to print on.

Since the hole does not go all the way through try printing with the rectangular end down.

It will be much easier to print with 0.2 or maybe 0.3 nozzle and a small layer height 0.12 perhaps.

Whenever I do something this small it takes me 3 or 4 tries to get the dimensions so it fits wherever it goes.  If the hole goes over a rod I find the layer overhang binds so its best to clean the hole to size with a reamer or drill - just turn by hand as you're only cleaning off a few thou.

Posted · Very tiny part, can't get support right
    4 hours ago, john8888 said:

You will also need to activate supports to give something for the overhang to print on.

I guess you didn't read the title? That's the whole point, if i pick "tree" they don't support the overhang. If i pick normal they start floating in mid-air.

Posted (edited) · Very tiny part, can't get support right

When you print small parts like that it always boils down to layer adhesion.  No matter how you do the support, if you print the part vertical then the support may be stronger than the part (it only has a single wall) and it will be really tough to get off without breaking the part.  I'd use a Dremel tool with a narrow cut-off wheel.

The 3mf has a vertical part and a horizontal part.  The Minimum Support Area and the XY Distance settings are the key.

EDIT:  It's a 7 minute print so I did print the 3mf.

On the horizontal part I tried to get fancy and allow the support in the hole.  Bad idea, I should have blocked it all.

The vertical part is OK.  I whittled off the support with an Exacto knife.

On the breakage test the horizontal part did much better.  If you aren't going to beat it up the vertical part would probably be fine.

The finish on the horizontal part was better but in fairness, the old white PLA I used was not good and some of the cosmetic stuff on the vertical part can probably be blamed on the filament.

The 3mf has been changed to block all support in the hole of the horizontal part.

GVFilament_Plug.3mf

Edited by GregValiant