Suggestions Cura

Posted · Suggestions Cura

Hello,

I was looking for a script that would allow me to change colors with sound.

Unfortunately, the implemented templates "Filament change" and "Pause at height" do not work with my CR-6 SE, printing simply continues.

Finally I found the following script: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3945021 It works great, as long as you match the time and press pause.

Apparently my CR-6 SE cannot output any sound, maybe. a user knows a technically solderable idea.

It would be nice if such a function were implemented in Cura. Which also offers the possibility to determine WHEN the filament needs to be changed. Which shows the current layer and the remaining time until the next change. Shouldn't be difficult and this time it would be a real benefit !! The current 10 is no better than the 4.8.0. The 4.10.0 will definitely not continue to run under W7, errors regarding Python are driveled in the log.

Posted (edited) · Suggestions Cura

You can use the Cura Pause At Height but it's a little clumsy.  It is an option if your printer doesn't have M0 enabled in the firmware.  If there are Z-Hops enabled in a file then you must use "by layer" as zhops will confuse the "by height" option.  Remember that the layer number refers to the layer in the gcode, not the Cura preview.  Look at the preview, subtract 1 from the layer number, add that to the Pause at Height box.

In the dialog for Pause At Height are two boxes you can add some Gcode to.  In "Gcode before Pause" add M300.  That's the beep and if you are sure it doesn't work then leave it out.

In the "Gcode after pause" put G4 S300.  G4 is a "delay" rather than a pause and it is fixed length ("S" is in seconds and you can adjust it to whatever you want).  There is no command to stop the dwell before the time is up.  When the time is up the printer will resume even if you want it to wait longer.  So the example "G4 S300" will dwell for 5 minutes and at the end of that time the printer will start by itself.

Edited by GregValiant

Thanks for help.

But either "Filament change" nor "Pause at heigth" work on my printer.... he simply continues the print without any interuptions.

However, Sound does not work too.

As a really good workaround I use the script I mentioned above. So all other explanations do not help me.

Also since release 4.9.x Cura does not run under W7 latest build, so I still use 4.8.0.

What doesn't work on your printer is the actual M0 pause command.  When you add the G4 to "gcode after pause" it will stop the printer in the correct parked position so you can change the color or add a nut or whatever.  The difference is that when M0 works correctly you can restart at any time with a button click.  With the G4 you must wait for the time to run down.  The rest of the routine that Pause at Height uses still runs.

I've attached a short gcode file.  There are no extrusions or heating, just some random moves, then the Pause At Height with G4 S30 as the gcode after pause (the M0 is commented out in the gcode).  When you print the file, there will be an AutoHome and then some random movement before the print head moves to X10 Y10 and dwells for 30 seconds (at least that's the plan).  If it works then you know you have an option.  If it doesn't then there is nothing lost.

DwellTest.gcode

Thanks Greg.

But why my printer does not recognize M0, G4 and some other commands?

I have to correct, he stops when I use Filament change and pause at height, but he does not continue, whatever I try to do.

I will check your file, but with the script I presently use I´m happy, it works.

Next, I think my printer does not sound or beep when stop, pause or whatver. Any idea? It´´´´´ s a CR-6 SE latest build/firmware

Creality.  Geez.

My year-and-a-half old Ender 3 Pro with the 8 bit 1.1.5 board has both M0 and G4 enabled.  I recently purchased a 4.2.7 board for the printer but I haven't installed it yet because I need to go to school on "Firmware 101".  Here is the reason:

When Creality went to the TFT style LCD screens they somehow lost the ability to understand commands that pass messages to the screen.  That includes M0, M1, and M117.  I wasn't aware of the G4 thing (it doe not send a message to the screen) but I know they didn't enable the G2/G3 arc commands and consequently Cura's ArcWelder plugin doesn't work on Creality printers with the 4.2.x boards.  That combined with the inability to pause from within a gcode file is not acceptable to me.  It's great that you found a workaround that works for you.

I don't think there is a way to get those commands back without using a custom firmware build and so I'm holding off moving to the 32 bit board.  My machine prints well, and the arc commands and M0 are enabled and give me options for pausing and resuming from within a file.  I would like to enable G60 and G61 (save current position and return to saved position) so I can call one gcode file from within another.  I'll get to it eventually but my Saturday morning project is to put new convertible top lift cylinders into the wife's Mustang.

Posted (edited) · Suggestions Cura

For most of your tasks you can use pronterface or octoprint. With these tools you´re able "vaccinate" the printer for longterm.

However, I´m also satisfied with my 3 printers and as I mentioned before there is a perfect working script. So, there´ is no need to change anything.

Cura should be implemented sound output, showing the present layer and time left when change the filament. Beside I use the Prusa slicer....

What about Creality? Do you have a Creality too....

Also I have no desire to tinker or fumble around the printer. The first CR-6 SE I was forced to change the board, hot end board, plate to golden PEI and the bed kit himself. Then I found out that 70C is to hot, all edges and corners were lifted up, looks ugly. Creality sends me 2 test gcode files (print them) and one of them were able to overtake into a new profile and now I´´ m happy.

Edited by mrpresident

My Ender 3 Pro is about 1 1/2 years old.  It prints quite well but in the beginning it was as you noted - constant maintenance.  The 8 bit board was fully functional.  From what I've seen and read Creality missed it with the firmware for their 32 bit boards.  This Filament Friday video is from last fall but it does explain what went on (and appears to be ongoing).