Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
vealmeal100

Not printing in the right location

This is my first post on the forums BTW

So last night I was printing a vase and my roll of PLA got twisted and it never completed it. In the morning when I tried to print it again, it printed right next to the end stops and kept bumping into them (no matter where I put it on cura). Any ideas why this is happening and how I can fix it. (Will post video later)

Sidenote: When I try to manually control the Z axis it does not want to go down.

Thank you for your time :)

I have the original Ultimaker, but this wasn't my first print I have had the printer for a few weeks. I was at school when it happened, I finally had not had a problem with it long enough that I thought I could just let it run (stupid roll of plastic). I have cycled the power about to upload a video showing what happens.

Go to Machine settings. Do you have "machine center 0,0" checked? It should not be checked. This would explain the problem potentially.

If not that then I have 3 theories but none of them quite seem to fit the data. Basically tighten all your set screws. But more likely this is a Cura thing and not a "set screw" thing.

Both the stepper drivers and the 12V regulator get very hot and will self destruct if you don't actively cool them. You can add a heat sink the the 12V part or buy a switching regulator part the plugs right in the same spot. But the stepper drivers will still get very hot.

I think if you check the 12V regulator it's probably well above boiling temp (100C). It's the part you are supposed to lift off the board into the cooling fan. Of course if you print in an environment that is well below 0C you might be okay.

Anyway I don't think any of that has anything to do with your current problem.

Oh! This is good to know! I understand it completely now and will be able to help other people if this happens to them.

Some of the moves are XY moves only, but some include some Z movement. So it moves the bed down and Z switch cancells so it doesn't move down. Then Z moves back up so nozzle can touch it and moves X,Y simultaneously but the Z switch cancelled the move and now it's in the wrong place.

. I will not do anything longer than 5 minutes until I fix it.

Ha! Even that is probably too long. The UM will print on it's side or upside-down. I recommend you at least use some kind of fan and put the UM on it's side for good access to the electronics with a fan.