Print Head Crashes

44mlb

Posted · Print Head Crashes

After updating Cura, print jobs that printed fine earlier without problem, now crash the print head into the side of the printer (Ultimaker 2+) 

I get the following message first "This file will override machine setting with setting from the slicer.)

6 hours ago, 44mlb said:

"This file will override machine setting with setting from the slicer.

That's the easier thing to fix.  First select a printer again - maybe select a *different* UM2+ than you had selected before.

Go to left side of screen in PREPARE mode.  Click on your printer, then do "manage printers" then "machine settings".

Now change the gcode style - I think you had it on Marlin maybe?  Change it to ultigcode.

7 hours ago, 44mlb said:

now crash the print head into the side of the printer (Ultimaker 2+) 

I need a better description.  Please video the 3 seconds or so when it crashes.  There are 10 possible issues that can all be described as "crash the print head into the side".  I'm going to guess it happens during homing and you are not reaching the limit switch.  If that happens it makes a horrible sound but nothing is damaged on your printer.

The limit switch may have moved a little and maybe you need to move it back or maybe it's one of the rods through the print head don't hit the switch anymore or maybe your fan shroud is bent and hitting the side of your printer.  I can determine all of this in a 3 second video of the problem happening.

It seems this forum will not allow me to send you the video clip. I can rule out a hardware problem as these files print fine if prepared on another computer with an earlier version of Cura. 

Youtube is also good for posting videos.  And it's free.

Posted (edited) · Print Head Crashes
    8 hours ago, gr5 said:

Youtube is also good for posting videos.  And it's free.

Here it is 👍

https://youtu.be/BKZEXGNbKHs

Edited by 44mlb

12 hours ago, gr5 said:

Go to left side of screen in PREPARE mode.  Click on your printer, then do "manage printers" then "machine settings".

Now change the gcode style - I think you had it on Marlin maybe?  Change it to ultigcode.

Hi gr5,
    I changed the G-code from Marlin to Ultimaker 2 and it looks as if it is now working fine. As far as I know I never changed this, the problem started straight after upgrading to a new version of Cura a year or two ago!

Anyway, thanks so much for your help gr5. 😀 

• Like 1