Ultimaker Original doesn't heat up...

markusa380

Posted · Ultimaker Original doesn't heat up...

Hello guys out there!

I am having a problem with my newly assembled Ultimaker Original:

It just doesn't heat up.

I am running it over USB and as I have read, the fan on the bottom should turn on then. It also doesn't, i can have the switch turned on or off or the power supply cable plugged in or not. Nothing seems to work. Did I make a mistake?

Greetings,

MarkusA380

Sounds like you have no power running to the printer at all, do you have an ulticontroller? If so, can you use it to eg. move some axis? The ulticontroller can run on usb power alone, while the rest of the printer needs the power supply...

the light on the power supply unit goes off if I turn the switch on.

That's not good.

First of all be aware that the power brick that comes with the UM1 has a safety feature that once it is shorted out you need to unplug from the wall for it to come back on.

It sounds like something is wrong in a big way in your electronics - maybe a short somewhere.

1) Are you good with electronics?

2) Do you have a voltmeter? If not get one - it's time to learn something new. I will try to guide you. Or if you don't want to learn about electronics consider sending the PCB back to ultimaker but first contact them here: support.ultimaker.com

The circuit diagram can be found here:

The circuit diagram, and board layout are here:

http://reprap.org/wiki/Ultimaker%27s_v1.5.7_PCB

There is a zip file at the top. It contains the "brd" file which is the layout. Also the "sch" file which is the schematic.

Both files can be opened by eagle software which is free:

http://www.cadsoftusa.com/download-eagle/