Print Core rebuild

BillT

Posted · Print Core rebuild

My first thought is "no".

If you are tight on money then you should really get a 3dsolex 0.4 ruby instead.  But if you have "work" paying for this then just buy a new one.  Cores are considered consumables (by Ultimaker) similar to filament.  I mean how much does one core cost versus the filament you buy?

But yes I suppose maybe you could fix this yourself.  It looks like only the heater and sensor are broken?  Hard to tell.  Those happen to be the two most expensive parts (yes - more expensive than the nozzle I think).  You could probably buy just those 2 parts from 3dsolex.com in Norway.  Just email them - it's not in the store but you could buy those.

Here is a video about taking apart Ultimaker cores:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln_tMz8Dwd0

MUCH MORE IMPORTANT QUESTION is how did this happen in the first place?  If you don't know then it will happen again.  Did you get a "head flood"?  If so then you need to learn how to keep your parts from moving.  Head floods usually happen when the part is wider than tall and it comes loose.  Then it slides around like a hockey puck and all the filament can't go anywhere except up into the print head.  On very rare occasions you can get a head flood if the print head door falls open.  But usually it's that the part came loose.  Learn more about how to get your particular filament type to stick to the bed better.  Here is a (long, sorry) video about how to never ever have a part come loose again.  But also read about your particular brand of filament:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t58-WTxDy-k