Organize profiles by filament name

Katoz

Posted · Organize profiles by filament name

I’ve downloaded some profiles that I’m using to print PLA, since I’ve bought filament spools of various brands and characteristics that requires slightly different settings from the profile I always use I was hoping I could create a new material then duplicate or re-import the profiles and modify them to keep them organized by the material brand/name but I don't know if it's possible.

For example, if I create a new material and use PLA as the Material Type all the profiles are available in all the different PLA materials but I would like to keep the profiles separate for for each material, is this possible?

Thanks

• 9 months later...
    Posted (edited) · Organize profiles by filament name

That's not what we want. We want to have profiles sorted by material : when you create a material A and then create a profile 1 inside the material A, then create a material B, we want the profile 1 to not being available when selecting material B but to be only available when selecting material A @dsp
    Ideamaker is already doing this, and it's a must have to prevent errors while selecting profile and materials, and it's a gain of productivity.

Edited by Johnn

oh i think I understand now, you want to be able to select the image.png.959d08e600b494bd3dbda9761899ff48.png

based on the material you choose.

interesting, 

we use an excel to keep track of all settings for the different filaments

but this would def. be more user friendly

yes that's what we are looking for, and I sincerely hope that this request will be implemented. I would be a great improvement of the use of Cura.

It seems difficult to implement, the only "filter" on the profiles is related to the machine. 

image.thumb.png.9aa43e6fb7aefcc985e432feea0875f7.png

It would probably be possible to have a plugin that would do this, something like the Startup Optimiser plugin from @fieldOfView but it seems complicated for a limited number of users in the end.

I just tried it but I can still access all the previous profiles I created on my old "machine profile" while selecting the "new machine profile" ... so it still doesn't make it as you can see on the screenshot below @Cuq

Or maybe is there a way to define which profiles are compatible with a given "machine" ?

2022_07_20_19_03_30_Greenshot.jpg

Edited by Johnn

Yes because your "New machine profile" is just a modification of the initial machine and the "Filter" is done on the initial machine. More explanation on how the stacked profile system works by @nallath  https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/wiki/Profiles-&-Settings

Your new machine profile is considered in this case as a definition-changes container  : https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/wiki/Profiles-&-Settings#definition-changes

Edited by Cuq

Thanks for your links, but I didn't understand 5% of its content. @Cuq

How do I control it : is there a way the make Cura understand that I want the new machine profile to be independent of all other machine profiles ?

In a simple way and accessible to everyone: no 🤔

Edited by Cuq

Then I pray for the devs to understand that my request is meaningful.