Multiple Printer models

martinmade95

Posted (edited) · Multiple Printer models

Can more than 1 version of Cura be installed and ran on the same PC? I have a printer that is compatible with version 3.2.1, and am considering buying a printer with a larger build area, that will likely require a newer version of the software. Any thoughts? I may want to continue using my current printer along with the new one...

Edited by martinmade95

Posted · Multiple Printer models

They run just fine.  I think I have 5 versions of Cura installed.

You can probably get the older machine to work with a newer version of Cura.  If there isn't a printer definition file available in the new version you can install a generic FDM printer and make changes to the setup to match that older printer.

The definition files inform Cura of things like bed size, if there is a heated bed, max speeds, and most important the firmware flavor so the gcode is compatible.  Those sort of things can all be set manually as well.