How to make it sturdier

Smggems

Posted (edited) · How to make it sturdier

When that STL file was created it was made out of two pieces.  A hollow base and a hollow upper "body".  Cura can only follow the model and there is nothing inside to print.

EDIT:  News flash here.  We may have found a use for "Remove All Holes".  It's in Mesh Fixes.  Click on that and then set up your walls and infill.

I created the attached 3mf file using a Monoprice printer.  When you open the 3mf file it will ask you if you want up update your Monoprice printer or create a new one.  I suggest you choose to create a new one so you don't mess up any customizing you may have done to your printer in Cura.

jewerly_ring_bust_display.3mf

Edited by GregValiant
  • Like 1

Posted · How to make it sturdier

Its Google taking over the world.

Use file explorer and go to your downloads folder.  If you didn't discard it then the file will be there with a weird name like blahblah.download.  Change the name to whatever you want and make sure it has a .3mf extension.  This happens to me all the time now as I download a lot of project files and gcode files to check them.  It started about 3 months ago.

• Like 1

That is a really nice, shiny color. What filament is that?

I vaguely remember a post that said that some such shiny colors were much more difficult to print than standard PLA. So, to filter out the cause a next time, you might want to try the same model with regular PLA. Then at least you know whether it is the model or printer, or the filament.

PS: for your Google Chrome problems: try using another browser: Firefox, Pale Moon, any others? Although Firefox too has sold its soul to Google. It appears that Google was from the very beginning a CIA-project, designed to infiltrate and spy upon as many computers as possible, worldwide. And then to censor anything their masters didn't want us to know. They did that very well, I must say, and we all fell into the trap, me too. Now they are even censoring innocent things and proven science and technology. But don't believe me, try to check it for yourself. Just don't use Google as your search engine for this, because it censors everything... Instead, try DuckDuckGo, Yandex, Searx, Qwant, Swisscows, or so.

• Like 2

@geert_2 I'm guessing it's a silky gold.  All the silkies have trouble with layer adhesion but for a model like that it isn't a problem.  The silkies seem to dislike moisture more as well so I have to dry them more often than regular filament.  That leads to other problems so I use it up as quick as I can for the more artsy stuff (rather than mechanical things).

@Smggems remember to turn "remove all holes" off.  That one causes confusion as does "make overhangs printable".

@geert_2 it is a silky filament by Ziro! i have sense printed of a few dozen things with this filament for my jewelry store and it has done amazing!

@GregValiant when I had the "Remove all holes" On it fixed the problem. 

il_1140xN.3473587673_5ls5.jpg

"when I had the "Remove all holes" On it fixed the problem."

Sorry @Smggems, I was referring to AFTER that print.  Many people forget that they turned it on and the next model they slice has issues.

OH SNAP! So true!!!!! Thank you for your help!

New question for this file. I would like to know how to make the neck portion shorter.

You can do it in Cura by bringing in a support blocker, sizing it, set the Per Model settings to Cutting Mesh and for the settings select Wall Count, Top Layers, Bottom Layers, and Infill Density.  Set them all to 0.  Move the block in space until you have it where you want it.  Unfortunately you cannot rotate the block to give the bust an angle on the top like it has now.  Because you are using "remove all holes" if one side of the feature is lower than the other side of the feature then it no longer constitutes a "hole" and you will be back to a shell for that portion.

You really should use something like MS 3D Builder or Blender.  Then you can subtract a block and it can be on an angle.  I think that would look better.