Ultimaker 3 doesn't boot anymoore

Siron

Posted · Ultimaker 3 doesn't boot anymoore

Hello together

I have a Problem with my Ultimaker 3. He doesn't boot anymoore.

I try a recovery Image but it doesn't work.

I oped the 3D printer and i saw a Olimex Board was bulid in.
I boot the board with a Serial connection and i only see in the console

"U-Boot SPL 2016.05-ultimaker-00017-g68b3b1c (Apr 09 2018 - 14:28:14)
CPU: 912000000Hz, AXI/AHB/APB: 3/2/2
DRAM:
"

The Board stop now every time after DRAM: 

Do you have any idea how to fix the problem without replacing the board?

Yeah, that's toast.  If the problem were a little farther along - for example if it gave up searching for a boot image after a few tries then I'd say you can probably fix it.  But if it stops after DRAM then I think it's toast.  You can google "lime2" and "won't boot" and "DRAM" and learn more but I think you need to contact Ultimaker.

I don't recommend trying to buy your own lime2 board as the UM board has some customizations (some connectors removed and this is critical for it to fit and I think a different USB connector).  So you should contact your UM reseller.

Unless you have lots of time and not much money and also happen to have surface mount soldering equipment.  In that case, message me.  I have some notes somewhere about what parts to remove/change.

Actually if you are an SMB soldering expert you could just try changing out the DRAM chip.

• Thanks 1

Boot sequence should look similar to this (I've also attached serial cable to my olimex lime2 and I've captured much of the boot sequence but not the first few lines - this is from someone else):

U-Boot SPL 2017.11-armbian (Jan 16 2018 - 12:38:00)
    DRAM: 1024 MiB
    CPU: 912000000Hz, AXI/AHB/APB: 3/2/2
    Trying to boot from MMC2

Later on in the boot sequence (maybe already) you can hit enter key or ctrl+c or something like that to get a UBOOT prompt which has lots of commands.  Again - google "lime2 uboot commands" or something similar.

• Like 1

Hi gr5

Thank you for your answer.

The Board stop every time on "DRAM" an at this point enter or ctrl-c doesn't work. 

it looks like I can only solve the problem by buying a new board or i try to resolder the DRAM Chip. It could be that the chip has a cold solder joint and have some SMD soldering equip. 

I am still thinking about which way to go and will give some more feedback

• Like 1

Hello together
    Short update from me. I have re-soldered the two Ram chips. Now the board boots again and one GB Ram is recognized.

I will now use the board to see how successful the repair was.

• Like 1