Help and Advice please

jockcraw

Posted · Help and Advice please

Use "File | Save Project" and post the resulting 3mf file.

There are enough fine features that did slice that it appears the lettering should show up.  If that is with a .4 nozzle - change to a .2 (in Cura) and slice again to see if it's just a matter of "too fine" for a .4.

The center ring not making it around has me leaning towards the model being a problem.  Post the 3mf file though.

There are a couple of things.

#1.  The bottom of the model isn't flat.  Select the model and then set the Z to -0.6.  That will give you a flat base.  If you don't do that it will be near impossible to print as succeeding layers will be printing over air.

#2.  Turn off "Mesh Fixes | Remove all holes" and also "Remove Empty First Layers".  They are specialty settings that you certainly don't want on all the time.

I think making the changes noted above will get you a good slice.  There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the model.

Posted (edited) · Help and Advice please

I walked back into the room and played with this again.  It's rotated about the X by 0.1° and it would print poorly as the left side starts to print ahead of the right.  I rotated the model so the front face is flat.  It will still need to be sunk into the build plate in Cura by 0.6mm.

Do you happen to know if that model was created by a scan?

Grenadier_fixed.stl

Edited by GregValiant

Greg , i followed your instructions to the letter...

its still not picking up the full model the writing is missing

these are models i bought and they were originally made for cnc , but in saying that , 2 or 3 have printed ok.

so i went agead and bought every uk regiment

Posted (edited) · Help and Advice please

Here is a Gcode file of the model and a 3mf project file for Cura.  Once I turned off "Remove all Holes" the model came to life.

My printer is an Ender 3 Pro and the Gcode file is for that printer.  So long as your printer is running Marlin it should print.  That being said, one of my rules is "Never run a gcode file created by someone else".  So look at the beginning of the file at the M104 and M109 and M140 and make sure you like the temperatures.  It was sliced at a print speed of 50 with outer walls at 35, and .2 layer height and .4 line width with a .4 nozzle.  Accel and Jerk are 500 and 8 respectively.  It's a fairly conservative setup.

If you open the 3mf file you will get my printer so if you have an Ender 3 or 3 Pro - when asked about updating the printer select "Install New".  That will keep Cura from over-writing your printer (if that would apply).  You will also get my settings so try slicing without changing anything and see how the preview looks.  When you switch to your printer in Cura, if the settings profile turns to "none" or "not supported" then you would need to do a full comparison to see what is going on.

I think the model was created from a scan of a real medallion.  That's fine except that any imperfections (like it not being flat) are picked up.  That seems to be the case with this model.

Grenadier_fixed.3mf Grenadier_fixed.gcode

Edited by GregValiant

Greg , you have went above and beyond , thank you 

i just adjusted layer height to 1.5 , and perfect , no doubt thest models are full of holes , so thats next thing to learn ,

but again brilliant Greg

My pleasure.

And I learned that scanning better be done square to the world.  That little .1° angle was a tough nut.