Ultimaker s5 with self-made filament, ER65

Aqari

Posted · Ultimaker s5 with self-made filament, ER65

I just started to make my own filament with 3Devo. I already printed with this particular filament without any errors (PLA). But when now I got this error message for 3-4 times. 

So basically the prints look really good, I don't see under/overprinting or any other filure. But when I am running a longer print (around 2 days) the printer stops, giving me ER65 error message and saying there is a problem connected to core 1.

So what I think is my filament is not consistent enough and the longer the printing time is the better this inconsistensy takes effect. I compared the original ultimaker filaments and they are more likely to be over 2,85 diameter so rather 3 or even more. Mine is around 2,85 but never more than 3 or less then 2,6. 

I already did the troubleshooting on the webpage for ER65. But I just got it again today. I started a 2 day long print on Friday hoping it would print all weekend but it stopped at 1d 10 hours.

So since the print looks really good, I am not sure if it's the filament, rather the flow sensors, or the materialstation, or should I maybe try producing thicker filament?

Anyone has a clue?

Diameter between 2,6 and 3 is not really consistent, so I guess the flow sensor has some troubles with it. You can try if it is better when you turn off the flow sensor in the printers menu.

Or your filament is clogging the print core in longer print jobs and therefore the flow sensor throws an error.

After i acknowledge the error message and i click on resume print it continues without any problem. I also just cleaned the cores before started this print. I will try to turn off the flow sensor. Can that cause any troubles?

Well definitely read what Ultimaker has to say:

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011706239

It amazes me that the printer says to go to ultimaker.com/ER65 yet very rarely do people seem to do it.

The filament sensor gets confused if you are printing very flexible filaments.  Very rubbery filaments.  Also having it only 2.6mm diameter could be the issue.  I'd just turn off the sensor. 99% of printers out there don't have a filament sensor and they do fine.  It's easy to disable from the menu system on the printer.

Yeah well at least I cleaned some parts:DD But it didn't solve my problem.

I managed to make better filament just now. But I have a print on, so I turned off the flow sensor to finish it with the current filament, also the print looks good for me, so I dont want to abort it.

It is just bad I have to be here to resume in case it stops:D But we will see without the sensor what happens.

254301707_6565409533534161_5860587427624691508_n.jpg

• Like 1