Ultimaker Original + E3D v6 Upgrade

LordHokage

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Original + E3D v6 Upgrade

Hi everyone!

I have several questions about the E3D upgrade for my UMO+!

I'll list them below so people can answer them directly:

• Can I use a 12v version? If not, why?
  • If I upgrade the extruder (to 1.7mm), can I get the 1.7mm version?
  • If I use the original heating parts from the UMO+ and add that to the E3D, will I bypass the MOSFET changing?
  • What other methods can I use to change from 2.85mm to 1.75mm?
  • Is the E3D good for PLA/ABS?
  • What is the deal with the Olsson Ruby Nozzle?

Sorry if that was a lot of questions, I just needed to clarify everything before I buy the E3D for my UMO+.

I hope that @neotko and @amedee have some suggestions...

Thanks for your time and response!

Edited by LordHokage
Added another question...

Posted · Ultimaker Original + E3D v6 Upgrade
    10 hours ago, LordHokage said:

Can I use a 12v version? If not, why?

No, the power supply delivers 24V...

If I upgrade the extruder (to 1.7mm), can I get the 1.7mm version?

Most probably

If I use the original heating parts from the UMO+ and add that to the E3D, will I bypass the MOSFET changing?

I am not sure the heater cartridge will fit the E3D block, but if it fits, why not...

Is the E3D good for PLA/ABS?

I use it for everything, however for PLA the 2.85mm might be subject to clogging, if I have to print a lot of PLA I tend to use a drop of oil now and then. The 1.75 version has a PFTE liner inside and is less prone to clogging.
    The main reason for using an E3D hot end for me was to be able to print at higher temperature (Polycarbonate, Nylon, ...)

What is the deal with the Olsson Ruby Nozzle?

If you print with abrasive filaments (e.g. carbon fiber), you will need a hard nozzle. Brass nozzles will wear extremely fast. Olsson's ruby nozzle will last forever. I saw recently E3D advertising "Nozzle X" for abrasive filaments -- no experience with that.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Original + E3D v6 Upgrade

Thank you @amedee!

Regarding your response, I still have some questions.

On 11/13/2021 at 11:15 PM, amedee said:

a drop of oil now

What type of oil do you use and where? Do you just let it run through the "hole where the filament goes"?(I actually don't know its name ;).

On 11/13/2021 at 11:15 PM, amedee said:

No, the power supply delivers 24V...

Does that mean that there is a native 24V point on the extruder for me to plug it in?

* Another couple questions: What are the best blocks (the black part the gantry sits on)? Any resources to use the BL-Touch with the UMO+? and What UMO+ firmware changes to make bed levelling work on pin 13 like "Automatic bed leveling for Ultimaker Original | F1OAT CNC experiments"?

Does anyone else like @f1oat or @vanalleswat have any suggestions for the bed levelling?

Edited by LordHokage