Why is Cura filling in my holes please ?

Magicmerly

Posted · Why is Cura filling in my holes please ?

I have an STL with 6.6mm holes in (see pic) when I slice it for my ender 3, the holes get filled in (despite me not telling Cura to do that) 

I've printed earlier variants of this with larger holes in with no problem, so not sure why Cura is filling in the holes now, please advise.

Beforeslice.jpg

It could be that the model is not manifold (and confuses Cura), or it could be that you have eg the setting "Remove all holes" enabled. Save a project, post a link to it, and we can have a look.

Well AHoeben nailed it.  When the warning comes up indicating that a model "isn't watertight" then usually the model needs to be repaired.  There are some models that will slice with errors but those errors can cause Cura to become confused and make mistakes.  If you haven't done so - you can load Mesh Tools from the Cura Marketplace.  In this case it couldn't repair the model but it did point to problems.

I used https://formware.co/OnlineStlRepair for the repair.

Here is the report:

-> Analysed your file:
    --> 5312 Naked edges (?)
    --> 66 Planar holes (?)
    --> 0 Non-planar holes (?)
    --> 0 Non-manifold edges (?)
    --> 0 Inverted faces (?)
    --> 0 Degenerate faces (?)
    --> 0 Duplicate faces (?)
    --> 0 Disjoint shells (?)
    -> Repairing: 100.00%
    ----- Repair completed in 43592ms ------
    -> Vertex count changed from 34504 to 34440 (-64)
    -> Triangle count changed from 64920 to 68944 (+4024)

Here is your model before the repair.  You can see that the top surface is an error and when I opened it the warning came up.

Untitled.thumb.png.25571faa4c64338e342ca420847fcab1.png

Here is the repaired model sliced in 4.12.1.  Much better.

FYI MS 3D Builder repaired it as well.

Untitled2.thumb.png.f83c50ce500b84e7976c3ffbd581e23e.png

6.6mmdiaholes_fixed.stl

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

Thanky you Greg, I didn't know about the red part I have learn not one but two things today, thank you 🙂

10 hours ago, GregValiant said:

You can see that the top surface is an error and when I opened it the warning came up.

No, in the normal prepare view the red on top just means that the normals of the model are inside out. That is not (always) an error, though it can be indicative of more being wrong with the model.

So I know this is an old post but can anyone help me out with my part? I have this vase I'm trying to print for a levitation platform i have but when i went to print it it infilled my internal geometry. I disabled union overlapping volumes but still no avail.  

Twisted Cup (Final).stl

I set the profile to "Standard Quality 0.2mm" and it sliced as a tube (with the cap to the side).  The model had some errors and I repaired it in MS 3D Builder and slicing the repaired model it looked the same to me.

Did you uncheck "Remove all Holes" in Mesh Fixes and "Make Overhang Printable" in Experimental?

Here's a project file with the repaired model and using that "Standard Quality" profile.

GV_TwistedCup(Final).3mf

• Like 1

Dude wow you are a lifesaver and this community is seriously awesome for responding to such an old post! I'm kind of new to Cura and designing my own parts, so I don't really mess with much of the intricate settings. I don't think i touched those settings and I didn't even know about the first one lol. But dude thank you for fixing my model! You seriously make it less intimating to start my fabrication journey! 

For some of the journey you'll be skipping down the yellow brick road.  Other parts you'll be stumbling blindly through the deep dark woods.  My printer has been running really well and today it decided it wanted to melt it's way down through the print.  Big time crash there.  It was within a few strokes of finishing the top layer too.  SD card was bad I suppose. so I formatted it again.  It seems to be OK now.  Ya just never know.

• Like 1

Welp, I feel a bit silly because i realized you didn't fix it lol. I just got so excited thinking it was done because I've been messing with this crap for a while. But, I checked and remove all holes was unchecked but that experimental one was check from one of my last prints. I unchecked it and it looks like the support is finally there and looking like my last vase! I'm going to send you a file so you can double check, but man you are awesome! I followed you too!

623009866_Cura_TwistedCup(FinalandFixed).gcode

I like Adaptive Layers when there are shallow angles on a part.  The lower layer heights make for smaller steps between them.   The roof of the Benchy would be an example.

On that model I think the variations in layer height will be noticeable as they give a "striped" effect.  This is from Cura in Orthographic view.  You can see it kind of has a tiger stripe thing going on.

image.thumb.png.eb515db916d11e18296735b35f364e2f.png

Just checking here - you HAVE calibrated your E-Steps and you DID NOT use a single/double wall contraption to mess it up?  Good.

It looks like you level manually.  If you are running Windows I have a little app I wrote for leveling, tuning a print, and controlling SD printing from your computer.  There is even a side app for calibrating E-steps and a textbox that collects the printer responses to commands like M503.  I tried to eliminate having to mess with the knob on the LCD.  I can pass that along.

Your print speeds are very conservative.  You know your printer though.  The print time the way I set up the print is 7:30 as opposed to 18:15.

GV_TwistedCup(Final).3mf

i had the same problem but I figured out that i had remove holes checked in mesh fixes from a previous project