how to remove travel lines

clayann

Posted · how to remove travel lines

Those aren't travel lines.  That's either infill or top-skin.  Could you please post your project?  In cura do "file" "save as" and post that file to the forum.  Project files contain your model (stl) and all your settings including printer settings, profile, overrides, model position, model scaling - basically everything I need to recreate what you show above.

I think there might be something wrong with your model?  Maybe.  Or it's a settings issue.

Okay I see the problem.  It looks like this is a clay printer?  And you have spiralize turned on which is great for cups and vases and similar shapes.  But the top of your object is tilted.

So those lines are part of the wall.  If you change "color scheme" to "line type" in preview mode you can see that those lines across the top are red which means they are wall.  spiralize disables the top layer (I guess you can't print those as clay probably would just fall into the dish).

Here is what you get if you disable spiralize and enable one top layer:

545966443_Screenshotfrom2021-11-2908-36-54.thumb.png.74d7e7018636e4ead6aa4d6ace506ff4.png

I don't know how to fix this other than making the top flat.  With the top tilted cura sees that as a wall even though the wall is more horizontal than vertical.

Spiralize and "no top layers" and "no infill" is a hack and limits what types of prints you can make.

For printing plastic I would model the part in CAD to have no top and it would have the wall thickness modeled in CAD and I'd disable spiralize and turn top layers back on.  So in cad you would remove the top and thicken the walls and give ceilings to every wall (very very thin ceilings).  You would also have to "enable thin walls" and you might actually want to use the beta version of cura arachne (version 5 beta) which can do I believe single-pass-walls.  The only other way to get single pass walls is to do what you are already doing.

But now you won't get such a beautiful and perfect contour print as the walls will be two passes (again, unless you use  cura 5 which is in beta but seems to work okay - there's a new beta version coming out any moment now I think - maybe it came out this morning).

• Like 1

How to remove them manually

first you have to find them - not easy!  Install "repetier host" software (I believe it works on windows, mac, linux).

Save the gcode in cura when you are happy with everything else.

Open the gcode in repetier host ("file" "load gcode").

You should have a split screen with the gcode shown graphically on the left and actual gcode  on the right.

In the graphics window use mouse drag, and shift mouse drag, and scroll wheel to zoom in on the top layer.

In the right window scroll to the very end of the gcode and then click on the last line and use the up arrow held down on the keyboard and scroll through the ending code rapidly and look on the left and watch the little yellow line move backwards showing the last layer.  Stop when you get to that line that goes across.  Unfortunately that is 3 printing movements - not one - due to the curvy nature of things I suppose?  Or maybe you have coasting enabled?  Anyway:

G1 X216.737 Y165.461 Z134.656 E990.47352
    G1 X211.437 Y164.251 Z134.699 E1011.94589
    G1 X209.329 Y163.815 Z134.716 E1020.44822
    G1 X163.772 Y165.461 Z135.081 E1200.5052
    G1 X164.682 Y164.52 E1205.41692

I included an extra above and below.  It's the 3 middle moves that need to be changed to a non-extruding move.

The x,y,z values are where to move the nozzle position.  The E value is how much to extrude.  You want to stop extruding for those middle 3.  You can just delete two of them and have it move right to the end.  In this case the move is mostly in X direction so you can just look at that column.  From first to second in moves only 5mm, then 2mm then about 44mm (to position 163).  then it's a short move to position 164.

So here's the fix - I got rid of the first 2 moves (not mandatory - you could instead add a G92 before each) and then I added the G92 just before the last move - that tells the printer "hey I know you think the extruder is at position 990.47352 mm because that's where you just moved the extruder to.  but actually you are at 1200.5052 so you don't need to extrude any on this next move".

I hope that makes sense.  You have to repeat this for 10 sections of the gcode which would be extremely hard to find without repetier host.  

G1 X216.737 Y165.461 Z134.656 E990.47352
    G92 E1200.5052
    G1 X163.772 Y165.461 Z135.081 E1200.5052
    G1 X164.682 Y164.52 E1205.41692

A nice thing about repetier is you don't have to open a text editor to make the changes but can make the changes right in repetier-host and there is a very tiny save button above the gcode portion. 

You can also see that those blue lines go to a lighter cyan indicating it's now a non-extruding move.

oh my goodness-thank you so much. i will recreate my forms with straight walls for now. I am going to try the gcode fix on these later-I say these as this is a set of 5 vessels:)

• Like 1

The walls can tilt a little.  But they should end all in the same plane at the top.  In other words it's that ceiling that needs to be flat.